CHEM1011 or MATS1101? (1 Viewer)

rand_althor

HSC
Hey guys, I'm wondering which of those subjects to do for my second semester. I'm a first year doing Civil Engineering/Commerce. I was considering doing CHEM1011 since I've heard it's easier than MATS1101, but MATS1101 is the recommended elective so I'm not sure if I should. Also, instead of those two subjects can I pick any from this website: https://www.engineering.unsw.edu.au/study-with-us/first-year-engineering-electives-list ?

The other subjects I'm doing next semester are MATH1231, CVEN1300 and ENGG1400. This semester I'm doing ENGG1000, ENGG1811, MATH1131 and PHYS1121.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Flop21

HSC
I'm curious how CHEM1011 is in S2. Since many courses are very different in the second semester (especially if the majority do them in S1).

Recondit

ヽ(" `Д´)ノ
HSC
I did both, MATS1101 was more relevant to me for both my Civil Engineering and Materials Science degree, CHEM1011 being a prerequisite for my Materials Science degree. I did it at the same time actually. Half of CHEM1011 is covered in the chemistry strand of MATS1101, so if you wanted to you could do both at the same time to reinforce your learning. I *think* (you'll need to check) they changed the assessment schedule for MATS1101 after the semester I did it in S1 2015, so that there would be no large group work portion - Making the assessment schedule more lax but still plenty to do since there are two strands.

I did alright in Chemistry in HSC (88), but I can say that I enjoyed MATS1101 more than CHEM1011. Some of MATS1101 will have some relevance later in your Civil Engineering courses, it has a lot more contact hours and a lot more assessments like I said. But the assessments are quite manageable and they practically give you notes for the whole course. If you enjoyed Chemistry in high school and did well there, then CHEM1011 isn't a bad choice. I can only think that knowledge here will be used in future water engineering subjects but not too sure.

I think I did a review for both in the Subject Reviews thread so you could check there for more of what I thought.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)