Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By sabbabbby
  • 1 Post By clementinez

Thread: Question about electrical engineering at unsw

HSC

Question about electrical engineering at unsw

Hey. I'm a 2017 HSC graduate and am interested in doing engineering, particularly electrical. I'm confused in regards to the 2 types of electrical engineering courses that UNSW offers; the Bachelor of Electrical Engineering (Honours) AND the Bachelor of Electrical Engineering (Honours) w/ the Master of Engineering in Electrical Engineering. What is the main difference between the two? Couldn't I just take the normal Bachelor course with a lower entry rank and move into the Masters course later (provided I achieve satisfactory results)? Or does the second course (mentioned earlier) provide added benefits, as implied by its higher guaranteed entry rank?

These questions are eating me rn lol.
    Last edited by tazhossain99; 17 Nov 2017 at 5:28 PM.
    ATAR Goal: 95ish
    ATAR Achieved: 97.65
    Desired Course: Bachelor of Engineering (Hons)/Master of Engineering in Electrical Engineering

2017 HSC ~ Penrith High School
    English (Adv.) [83] ~ Mathematics Ext. 1 [99] ~ Mathematics Ext. 2 [92] ~ Physics [90] ~ Biology [93]

2018-2023 ~ UNSW
    Bachelor of Engineering (Hons)/Master of Engineering in Electrical Engineering

HSC

Re: Question about electrical engineering at unsw

Quote Originally Posted by tazhossain99 View Post
    Hey. I'm a 2017 HSC graduate and am interested in doing engineering, particularly electrical. I'm confused in regards to the 2 types of electrical engineering courses that UNSW offers; the Bachelor of Electrical Engineering (Honours) AND the Bachelor of Electrical Engineering (Honours) w/ the Master of Engineering in Electrical Engineering. What is the main difference between the two? Couldn't I just take the normal Bachelor course with a lower entry rank and move into the Masters course later (provided I achieve satisfactory results)? Or does the second course (mentioned earlier) provide added benefits, as implied by its higher guaranteed entry rank?

These questions are eating me rn lol.
    I think if you do the combined, you finish your degree in 5 years opposed to doing it separately and taking 6 years. Apart from the acceleration, i'm not sure what other benefits it has, sorry lol. I'd recommend you do the combined anyway, you won't have trouble getting in.
    Last edited by sabbabbby; 17 Nov 2017 at 8:02 PM.
    tazhossain99 likes this.
    Neuroscience sorta fella (Neurophysiology)

2017’ HSC alumni

HSC
    N/A

Re: Question about electrical engineering at unsw

The BE/ME in electrical also lets you do a minor sequence in one area (they have a list on the website). One of them is CS so you might be interested in that. Have you looked into the combined BE/CS degree (also a very good use of time)? BE/CS might even be better than BE/ME in the sense that it gives you coverage of two areas without the risk of being overqualified for an entry level position once you graduate.
    tazhossain99 likes this.

Thread Information