Do I need to attend lectures? (1 Viewer)

study123456

HSC
Hi, I live very far away from unsw and I have a job as well. From what I’ve been hearing only tutes and labs are compulsory.
1) Do I need to attend lectures as the journey and my work make it physically exhausting. Note: I am a very self disciplined person and will teach myself at home. But I am afraid of my attendance and failing my course, but have been reading forums where people skipped classes and nothing happened.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
no there is no requirement to attend any classes not even math tutorials. Phyics/chem labs yea

if you can do the work yourself then by all means go ahead

you're in university now so you're making your own decisions and no one is gonna check up on u if u have done xyz homework etc

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
from experience, skipped every math2019 lecture but still passed overall.

study123456

HSC
So like can skip lecture for all of my first year oran I allowed to do this for 5 years (the duration of my degree).
Note: I’ll always try to stay ahead so if any difficulty occurs I’ll just attend the lecture.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
So like can skip lecture for all of my first year oran I allowed to do this for 5 years (the duration of my degree).
Note: I’ll always try to stay ahead so if any difficulty occurs I’ll just attend the lecture.
if you don't know many people doing the subject then would recommend going for like first few weeks to be able to make friends and get added to different study groups etc.

After that going to the lecture or not will have literally no consequence to you since it's not compulsory for most of them. Only scenario I could see you have to go is if they don't record the lecture or if the lecturer uses a whiteboard/blackboard which wont come up on the lecture recording.

If you are dedicated enough to learn the stuff at home then its fine. I personally usually go to lectures during the first 2-3 weeks and then after that would rarely be going in, unless I have a tutorial or laboratory on the same day

MajesticMemes

HSC
Skipping lectures is fine, sometimes preferable even such as when the lecturer has an accent so you can listen to their voice directly and pause/slow down/speed up if necessary. Going in person is better most of the time, but yeah with work and shit, you can't be expected to go to all of them.

If you do skip a lecture, try and watch the recording the same day. It's very easy to fall behind with all your lecture recordings building up, leading to a vicious cycle where you're skipping more lectures to try and catch up on the one's you've missed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)