Advice please!! :d (1 Viewer)

HSC
Having transferred into unsw comm/law this year from comm/arts, i don't know if it was the correct decision! After spending a considerable amount of time scrolling through forums, i realised that there is an 'oversupply' of law graduates and those who actually secure a grad position are in the top 20%/'cream of the crop' of their cohort.

FURTHERMORE, im also quite introverted and afraid to contribute in class discussions in the fear that whatever comes out from my mouth is an abomination to mankind. ( i know that this will impact severely on my cp marks).

However, if i were to drop the law component and transfer to a single commerce degree, i will be in my penultimate year and have to start looking for internship/vac work etc. and i feel that i haven't done as many extracurricular/ volunteer as i would've hoped.

Also, even though i feel motivated to study, i feel as if EVERYONE is of higher caliber (like honestly, its only the first week and i feel as if they already know all the content required for the course!- for laws1052 particularly)

SO my question is...

1. what mark will employers be looking for in grad employees?

2. Will a law degree actually increase job prospects ?

3. Should i just drop the law component and do a single degree (however, i quite like the social side to uni)

As for future plans, i hope that i can work within the business sector irrespective of whether i have a law degree or not! i.e- tax/accounting/audit

THANKYOUUUUU! :D :D
-and sorry for the long post

Last edited:

RenegadeMx

Kosovo is Serbian
HSC
Uni Grad
ill only answer 1, marks have a good effect on jobs(been hearing companies only look at distinction + nowadays), however a high credit/dist avg with job exp is much much better than hd avg with no jobs ect, ill leave the rest to people who know more about law

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
A law degree is attractive because of the skills you developed.

Another reason why some people do Com/Law even though they know for sure they don't want to practice law is because they have a longer time to build up their CV. Compare a B Commerce student with a B Commerce/LLB when they are applying for internships. Lets say they both are applying for the big 4 accounting firms. The commerce student would have had only one year of experience to present whereas the Com/Law student would have three years.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Assuming you get through law and pass, it is a valuable point of differentiation based on the skills/experience you get from that very different perspective. If you do well academically then that's another story.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)