Studying medicine (1 Viewer)

Catz

HSC
Hi,

I was wondering why so many people prefer studying medicine at unsw than uws?

I know about unsw having advanced facilities but it's very competive so is it really a big difference to study at uws than unsw for medicine?

Thanks

Flop21

HSC
I'll just put this out there... one of my docs studied at UNSW a long time ago. He says that UWS now has a better program than UNSW. Produces a better well-rounded doctor apparently. But just his opinion, not mine.

UNSW says on their site "We are the only university offering undergraduate entry to the Bachelor of Medical Studies/Doctor of Medicine (BMed/MD) program". So that's probably a big thing,

enoilgam

HSC
I really wanted to study at UWS over UNSW to be honest. Ive heard better things about the UWS program anyway.

Ello1234

HSC
I would go to any uni that gives me an offer for med.

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
Both unis have courses with great merits, neither really gives you a particular edge career wise from what I know. The best thing to do is research each of the degrees and consider:

1. How long does the degree last?
2. What is part of the course?
3. Which university is convenient for me to get to?
4. Which campus do i prefer or do i even care about this?

Catz

HSC
Thanks everyone for clearing that up, I'm going to a few open days anyway so I'll definitely ask those questions. Thanks again! :)

Xt

HSC
N/A
Hi,

I was wondering why so many people prefer studying medicine at unsw than uws?

I know about unsw having advanced facilities but it's very competive so is it really a big difference to study at uws than unsw for medicine?

Thanks
Probably because it's closer to the city and perceived prestige factor.

I don't think there's a difference between facilities, if anything, UWS is a newer university and I heard they're getting a new medical campus or facilities?

I'll just put this out there... one of my docs studied at UNSW a long time ago. He says that UWS now has a better program than UNSW. Produces a better well-rounded doctor apparently. But just his opinion, not mine.

UNSW says on their site "We are the only university offering undergraduate entry to the Bachelor of Medical Studies/Doctor of Medicine (BMed/MD) program". So that's probably a big thing,
I've heard UWS's program is based on the UG UniMelb program, which was really old school (focusing a lot on the medical sciences). UWS also offers 3 years of clinical and my friend told me they only get a semester-equivalent of stats. At UNSW, we get so many stats lectures (many be due to the research-focus nature of our uni) and we only get 2 years of clinical...so yeah...at least we get to do a year of research........fun......

I also get the impression that UWS's pre-clinical content gets covered in 2 years, whereas it takes 3 years for UNSW.

Last edited:

Oer

Started from the fundus
HSC
Man, I could write essays about this
And maybe I will some day

I think it's fair to say a lot of people see UNSW as favourable because of prestige, and also stigmatise UWS.
Which is silly tbh

For med the uni itself makes very little difference, so it should REALLY come down to course structure, location and where you enjoy spending your time

Personally I love the UNSW BMed/MD structure and it's given me opportunities I wouldn't have had at UWS, so no regrets
But UWS definitely has benefits over UNSW too
And the quality of doctor I will be I feel depends more on me than it does on my uni

I would've loved to study UWS as well med though, it really is excellent

Oer

Started from the fundus
HSC
I also get the impression that UWS's pre-clinical content gets covered in 2 years, whereas it takes 3 years for UNSW.
Pretty sure it's the same - 2 preclinical years, 1 mixed year, 2 clinical years

UNSW just has the extra research year

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
Pretty sure it's the same - 2 preclinical years, 1 mixed year, 2 clinical years

UNSW just has the extra research year
Nah, 2 preclinical (u still get weekly clinical exposure though) and 3 clinical.

Oer

Started from the fundus
HSC
Nah, 2 preclinical (u still get weekly clinical exposure though) and 3 clinical.
My bad then. Majority of third year UNSW stuff is clinical anyway, so not too big a difference one way or another

I like that UWS does more community placements though.

Schmeag

HSC
N/A
Much of what is important has been said.

I've heard UWS's program is based on the UG UniMelb program, which was really old school (focusing a lot on the medical sciences). UWS also offers 3 years of clinical and my friend told me they only get a semester-equivalent of stats. At UNSW, we get so many stats lectures (many be due to the research-focus nature of our uni) and we only get 2 years of clinical...so yeah...at least we get to do a year of research........fun......
My understanding was that the old University of Melbourne program was actually very research-focused. They had a compuslory Advanced Medical Science year with significant research opportunities and as mentioned, explored the sciences in relatively more depth than the more practical degrees; the feeling as far as I know is that this provided a greater depth of knowledge for both laboratory and clinical research.

Xt

HSC
N/A
My bad then. Majority of third year UNSW stuff is clinical anyway, so not too big a difference one way or another

I like that UWS does more community placements though.
I believe UWS's 3rd year (i.e. first year of clinical) students get attached to a team. Whereas we just wander around the hospital with no structure and doing whatever we please. Guess depends on the individual, but I would prefer being attached to a team.

My understanding was that the old University of Melbourne program was actually very research-focused. They had a compuslory Advanced Medical Science year with significant research opportunities and as mentioned, explored the sciences in relatively more depth than the more practical degrees; the feeling as far as I know is that this provided a greater depth of knowledge for both laboratory and clinical research.
Possibly UWS cut out the year of research so their degree was shorten to 5 years, rather than 6.

Last edited:

Schmeag

HSC
N/A
Possibly UWS cut out the year of research so their degree was shorten to 5 years, rather than 6.
It would surprise me personally, as they both seem quite different to me. I had heard that the old UoM degree placed relatively less emphasis on clinicals than research, openly ranked its students (marks mattered), and focused more on the biomedical aspect of patient care than other degrees.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)