Polynomials from Cambridge (1 Viewer)

.ben

HSC
1. The equation xn+px-q=0 has a double root. Show that (p/n)n+(q/(n-1))n-1=0

2. The equation x3+3px2+3px+r=0 where p2 does not equal q, has a double root. Show that (pq-r)2=4(p2-q)(q2-pr).

3. The equation x3+3x+2=0 has roots a, b, c. Fin the equation with roots a+1/a, b+1/b, c+1/c.

4. When P(x)=x4+ax2+bx is divided by x2+1, the remainder is x+2. Find the values of a and b.

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
.ben said:

2. The equation x3+3px2+3px+r=0 where p2 does not equal q, has a double root. Show that (pq-r)2=4(p2-q)(q2-pr).

3. The equation x3+3x+2=0 has roots a, b, c. Fin the equation with roots a+1/a, b+1/b, c+1/c.

4. When P(x)=x4+ax2+bx is divided by x2+1, the remainder is x+2. Find the values of a and b.
1) find f'(x) = 0. substitute the value for x into the original equation and do some smart algebraic manipulation to get ur answer.
2) same thing
3) if all else fails, just simply get coefficients of sum of single roots, double roots and product of roots of new equation and ur done.
4) realise that u substitute x = i and x = -i. you have two equations. solve simultaenously to get a and b.

.ben

HSC
Mountain.Dew said:
1) find f'(x) = 0. substitute the value for x into the original equation and do some smart algebraic manipulation to get ur answer.
2) same thing
3) if all else fails, just simply get coefficients of sum of single roots, double roots and product of roots of new equation and ur done.
4) realise that u substitute x = i and x = -i. you have two equations. solve simultaenously to get a and b.
could you expand on the first two please, cos i tried and it didn't come off. thanks

haboozin

Do you uhh.. Yahoo?
HSC

hi,

do you know the definition?
that if p(x) has a double root then P'(x) has that root aswell.
u should be able to prove it aswell... it has come up in hsc exams a few times.

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
.ben said:
could you expand on the first two please, cos i tried and it didn't come off. thanks
for questions 1 and 2, solve the equation f'(x) = 0. find the value for x, then substitute THAT value back into the original f(x).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)