Geometrical representation of a complex number as a vector (1 Viewer)

YBK

w00t! custom status!! :D
HSC
Hey, just a few questions from Cambridge 2.3; any help would be greatly appreciated.

5. On an Argand diagram the points P and Q represent the numbers z1 and z2 respectively. OPQ is an equilateral triangle. Show that z1^2 + z2^2 = z1z2

(could you please elaborate on the first step, because I have the answer to it, I'm just not sure how the teacher got it)

6. Show that | |z1| - |z2| | <or equal to |z1 + z2|
State the condition for equality to hold.

8. Show that | z1 + z2 + ... + zn | <or equal to |z1| + |z2| + ... + |zn|

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
YBK said:
Hey, just a few questions from Cambridge 2.3; any help would be greatly appreciated.

5. On an Argand diagram the points P and Q represent the numbers z1 and z2 respectively. OPQ is an equilateral triangle. Show that z1^2 + z2^2 = z1z2

(could you please elaborate on the first step, because I have the answer to it, I'm just not sure how the teacher got it)

<or equal="" to="" |z1="" +="" z2=""><or equal="" to="" |z1="" |z2="" .="" +="" |zn="">
A couple of points:
</or></or>
  • <or equal="" to="" |z1="" +="" z2=""><or equal="" to="" |z1="" |z2="" .="" +="" |zn=""> O is the origin of the argand diagram</or></or>
  • OP = OQ (equilateral triangle), and hence modulus of z1 = modulus of z2
  • The angle between OP and OQ is π/3 (equilateral triangle again)
You could probably prove this question algebraically, but for me that would take a long time as you would have to expand z1 and z2 out using de moivre's theorem. To start on that method you'd let z1 = rcis(θ<o></o>) and z2 = rcis(θ<o></o> + π/3)

Hence, I would solve it graphically (I prefer doing this anyway). Here's a few tips on how you'd actually draw it:
  • Draw point Q on the x axis (this makes it a little simpler)
  • Draw point P, making sure it is π/3 away from Q and their moduli are equal
  • Draw the point Q^2, which should be easy since its argument is 0 and you only need to square the modulus
  • Draw P^2, remembering to add π/3 to the argument
  • Then draw the point P^2 + Q^2 (remember you use a parallelogram to add complex nos)
  • Then draw the point P*Q, which will be the same point as P^2+Q^2
YBK said:
6. Show that | |z1| - |z2| |

8. Show that | z1 + z2 + ... + zn |
I don't think you typed these questions out fully.

Once you get used to the geometrical complex number questions, they become easy.

Hope this helps. :)

YBK

w00t! custom status!! :D
HSC
Thank you, ianc!! :)

6. Show that | |z1| - |z2| | < or equal to |z1 + z2|

8. Show that | z1 + z2 + ... + zn | < or equal to |z1| + |z2| + ... + |zn|

Though I'm 100% sure that I completely typed out the question. Weird that it didn't show up.

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
No worries about the typo, when I was typing the previous post I clicked preview first and it had somehow replaced the theta symbol with emoticons.

Anyway...

YBK said:
6. Show that | |z1| - |z2| | < or equal to |z1 + z2|

• Draw any two points on an argand diagram, z1 and z2. Call them A and B respectively
  • Draw z1+z2, call it point C.
  • OB = AC (parm)
  • Working in triangle ACO, we know that CO is always greater than AC or AO.
  • Hence AO - AC (or |z1| - |z2|) will always be less than CO (which is |z1 + z2|
  • When it says what condition is needed for the equality to hold, that means when does the lefthandside = righthandside
  • In this case, it is when z1 = -z2, or vice versa (i think!)
YBK said:
8. Show that | z1 + z2 + ... + zn | < or equal to |z1| + |z2| + ... + |zn|
How I would do this one:
  • Draw a few points on the argand diagram
  • Measure all the moduli, and add them up simply by a straight line. This point represents |z1| + |z2| + .... + |zn|
  • Add up all the complex numbers you drew (using several parms) This point represents | z1 + z2 + ... + zn |
  • Use a compass to rotate the point representing the total across to the straight line.
  • The compass will rest on a point on the straight line, so hence the modulus is smaller, so you have proved it.
Hopefully you understood the reasoning behind this, because it's probably a pretty dicey method (using the compass and having to measure :p)

Anyway, glad to be of assistance

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)