Area of Triangle (Fast method, but is it allowed) (1 Viewer)

_ShiFTy_

HSC
At school, we learnt that to find the area of a triangle with coordinates (x1,y1),(x2,y2),(x3,y3) is

1 | (x1y2 + x2y3 + x3y1) - (x1y3 + x3y2 + x2y1) |
2 | |

Apparently its some method used in uni, but is it allowed in the HSC? My teacher says its ok but i wanna make sure..

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
Last edited:

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
it seems fine to me, but i rarely see any questions that would involve that.

i suppose its a nice 'general' way of finding any area of a triangle, but for the HSC, there are hardly ANY questions were this would a superior or recommended method.

but, 06ers, its ur HSC. use it at ur own risk.

HSC
N/A
Mountain.Dew said:
use it at ur own risk.
Dare I say use it at Ian Woodhouse's risk.

It IS a superior method and therefore I do recommend using it, despite Ian Woodhouse (or perhaps more poignantly - BECAUSE of Ian Woodhouse........)

Riviet

HSC
N/A
I guess you could use it to quickly check your answer, instead of using it alone in your working.

_ShiFTy_

HSC
Mountain.Dew said:
it seems fine to me, but i rarely see any questions that would involve that.
I've seen it a couple of times in Conics...usually its to prove that the area is a constant or something

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
why the damn hell would it be taken out in the 80s if it was always a valid method?

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Just because it isn't in the syllabus doesn't mean that it isn't mathematically valid.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Templar said:
Just because it isn't in the syllabus doesn't mean that it isn't mathematically valid.
missed the point there didnt you

why was it taken OUT

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
You missed my point too. It's a mathematically valid method regardless whether it's in the syllabus, got taken out of the syllabus, or was never in the syllabus.

The way you worded your question, it sounds like you're disputing its validity as a mathematical equation, simply because it was taken out of the syllabus.

HSC
N/A
It got taken out because determinants and matrices got taken out. So when they went, so did this little area formula. It had nothing to do with validity.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Templar said:
You missed my point too. It's a mathematically valid method regardless whether it's in the syllabus, got taken out of the syllabus, or was never in the syllabus.

The way you worded your question, it sounds like you're disputing its validity as a mathematical equation, simply because it was taken out of the syllabus.
its a question from someone who didnt know what was going on. I don't question its validity, quite frankly I didnt even give it a second look. it was a honest question, answered pretty vaguely the first time.

buchanan said:
It got taken out because determinants and matrices got taken out. So when they went, so did this little area formula. It had nothing to do with validity.
that answer is severely better.

Well apologies for the misunderstanding :/

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)