Q. permutation/combination (1 Viewer)

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
the following question actually is from a 3u trial paper:

"All the letters of the word ENCUMBRANCE are arranged in a line. Find the total number of arrangements, which contains all the vowels alphabetically in order but separated by at least one consonant."

die_imortales

All the letters of the word ENCUMBRANCE are arranged in a line. Find the total number of arrangements, which contains all the vowels alphabetically in order but separated by at least one consonant

first u put in the 7 consonants(C) in 7! ways so u have:

/C/C/C/C/C/C/C/

where the /'s are the slots where the vowels can go....

then u just have to put A,E,E,U in that order in 7 spots

which would be 7P4 mutliplied by 1/4 to make sure A is first... and then 1/3 to make sure U is last and then 2 because the E's can be swapped which gives:

7! * 7P4 * 1/4 * 1/3* 2 = 705600.... mite be rite... if it is i'm cheerin.. if not then soz for wastin ur time :p

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by die_imortales
All the letters of the word ENCUMBRANCE are arranged in a line. Find the total number of arrangements, which contains all the vowels alphabetically in order but separated by at least one consonant

first u put in the 7 consonants(C) in 7! ways so u have:

/C/C/C/C/C/C/C/

where the /'s are the slots where the vowels can go....

then u just have to put A,E,E,U in that order in 7 spots

which would be 7P4 mutliplied by 1/4 to make sure A is first... and then 1/3 to make sure U is last and then 2 because the E's can be swapped which gives:

7! * 7P4 * 1/4 * 1/3* 2 = 705600.... mite be rite... if it is i'm cheerin.. if not then soz for wastin ur time :p
i don't know, there are 7 consonants, but there are 2 "C"s, so u can't say 7!:D

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by die_imortales
soz didnt see that... well then its 7! divided by 2 because of the two C's
so divide answer by 2
well also the question says "atleast 1 consonant b/w the vowels" so u can have 2 consonants b/w the vowels, for which your answer does not account for.:D

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
There are 7 consonants with 2 pairs of repeats, so they can be arranged in 7!/(2!2!) ways.

The vowels are in alpabetical order, so no need to permutate, juz gotta work out how many ways u can fit into spots separated by consonants. That's just 8C4. (I think this right...I'm not doing anything for 2 E's because 8C4 is only looking for places to put in the vowels. Theres only 1 way to arrange the vowels).

So answer's 7!/4 * 8C4 = 88200

die_imortales

oh yeh there are two repeating consonants arent ther... gotta be more observant.. :p otherwise the vowel part i had no idea about i'd just forgot... what ur sayin sounds rite tho the E's wont need to be muddled with cause u can just consider them two different vowels... well i guess i need to study some permutations... seein as i was about 620000 off...

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
the way i see it, this ques has 3 steps

1) permutate consonants
2) find places to put in the vowels
3) permutate vowels, but no need coz only 1 way to stay in order

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
oh, meibi wi ken ask sam piple from jeims rus den :D

do those james ruse kids visit this forum, let alone browse the net or use computers? I mean, agricultural nerds.. j/k :)

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by underthesun
oh, meibi wi ken ask sam piple from jeims rus den :D

do those james ruse kids visit this forum, let alone browse the net or use computers? I mean, agricultural nerds.. j/k :)
i doubt any james ruse kids hand around ze forum...they're prolly too busy studying for their hsc now..:D

OLDMAN

HSC
N/A
Funny (or disconcerting) to see that some perm/comb ext1 trial questions are harder than some ext2 problems. I remember a similar CSSA trial (1997?) on the word EXTENSION, no two vowels together.

Again I'll be stepping on the backs of die_imortales and malachite's initial analyses to solve this one:

/C/C/C/C/C/C/C/

vowels EEUA, consonants NNCCMBR

8 slots for the vowels : 8P4/2!
7 slots for the consonants :7!/(2!2!)

Total no. of ways 8P4/2! * 7!/(2!2!) = 1,058,400

or, following malachite's lead :

8C4 ways of choosing 4 slots for the vowels,
4!/2! ways to place the 4 vowels in a particular 4 slots,
7!/(2!2!) ways of placing the consonants
Total no. of ways 8C4 * 4!/2! * 7!/(2!2!) = 1,058,400

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by OLDMAN
Funny (or disconcerting) to see that some perm/comb ext1 trial questions are harder than some ext2 problems. I remember a similar CSSA trial (1997?) on the word EXTENSION, no two vowels together....

8 slots for the vowels : 8P4/2!
7 slots for the consonants :7!/(2!2!)

Total no. of ways 8P4/2! * 7!/(2!2!) = 1,058,400

correct me if i'm wrong, but shouldn't the way u slot the vowels be: 8C4/2!, since u have to keep the vowels in alphabetical order?:confused:

also, yeah, i think that "EXTENSION" question was from the 2002 catholic paper.:D

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
another similiar question

since the following question looks similar i decided to put it in this thread:):

if the letters of the word GUMTREE and the letters of the word KOALA are combined and arranged into a single twelve-letter word, in how many of these arrangements do the letters of KOALA appear in their correct order, but not necessarily together?

OLDMAN

HSC
N/A

oops! forgot the alphabetical order. divide by 12 to get malachite's answer, 88,200.

Last edited:

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
Originally posted by freaking_out
since the following question looks similar i decided to put it in this thread:):

if the letters of the word GUMTREE and the letters of the word KOALA are combined and arranged into a single twelve-letter word, in how many of these arrangements do the letters of KOALA appear in their correct order, but not necessarily together?

7!/2! * (8C5+4*8C4+6*8C3+4*8C2+8C1) = 1995840

is this right?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)