UAI question regarding 4u maths (1 Viewer)

peregrinus

HSC
I know that during your HSC year that if you do 4u of maths, then both 3u and 4u are worth two units each so as to make up four units.

So if i did really bad in 4u during my HSC and i do 11 units, would 4u not be included in my top ten as it is usually one unit, or is it regarded as a two unit subject?

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
回复: Re: UAI question regarding 4u maths

Honestly, you must go REALLY bad in order to make 4unit not be 2 of your top 10 units.

me121

Premium Member
HSC
peregrinus said:
I know that during your HSC year that if you do 4u of maths, then both 3u and 4u are worth two units each so as to make up four units.

So if i did really bad in 4u during my HSC and i do 11 units, would 4u not be included in my top ten as it is usually one unit, or is it regarded as a two unit subject?
they would count half of your 4u.

i.e. 1 unit of the 2 units it makes up. (i.e. say you got 80 they would count 40 to your aggregate rather than 80)

conics2008

HSC
why do 4units if you think your going to go bad.. i dont get you ???

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
The state average HSC mark for Ext2 is about 80 and the average scaled mark is about 90. Keep in mind state averages are usually around raw pass marks like the 60/120 vicinity...So you would have to do pretty badly in Ext2 (or extremely well in everything else like 95+) for it to be your lowest.

Last edited:

peregrinus

HSC
conics2008 said:
why do 4units if you think your going to go bad.. i dont get you ???
first: the reason you dont get me is because you dont know me.
Second: i have no idea how well or bad im going to do in 4u but im good at maths so im trying it to see how i go, if i dont do well, so what?

jellybelly08

HSC
peregrinus said:
Second: i have no idea how well or bad im going to do in 4u but im good at maths so im trying it to see how i go, if i dont do well, so what?
you'll fail at life

peregrinus

HSC
Trebla said:
The state average HSC mark for Ext2 is about 80 and the average scaled mark is about 90. Keep in mind state averages are usually around raw pass marks like the 60/120 vicinity...So you would have to do pretty badly in Ext2 (or extremely well in everything else like 95+) for it to be your lowest.
what do you mean about state average being 80, is that what people get in their hsc exam?

jellybelly08

HSC
Seriously though you're an idiot, first you go that you are worried you're going to fk up 4unit then when the guy asks you why you are doing 4unit if you think you are going to fail you start flaming him.

peregrinus

HSC
jellybelly08 said:
Seriously though you're an idiot, first you go that you are worried you're going to fk up 4unit then when the guy asks you why you are doing 4unit if you think you are going to fail you start flaming him.
i never said i was going to fail, i had a query about what happens IF i fail.
i am doing ok in 4u actually, like i said, it was just a query.

I never flamed him, i simply said he doesnt get me cause he doesnt know me which is the truth, no harsh tone intended.

and im not an idiot!

jellybelly08

HSC
peregrinus said:
i never said i was going to fail, i had a query about what happens IF i fail.
i am doing ok in 4u actually, like i said, it was just a query.
why would you 'query' if you didnt think you were going to fk up 4unit

I never flamed him, i simply said he doesnt get me cause he doesnt know me which is the truth, no harsh tone intended.
It was harsh

and im not an idiot!
i beg to differ:ninja:

peregrinus

HSC
jellybelly08 said:
why would you 'query' if you didnt think you were going to fk up 4unit

It was harsh

i beg to differ:ninja:
because i was just a query, i was curious!

how can you know what my tone was like, only i know that and you can only guess. and im telling you that my one wasnt harsh.

if anyone is being harsh, it is you!!

and like i said to him(with no harsh tone) you dont know me either so you cant judge me or my motives abou queries

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
回复: Re: UAI question regarding 4u maths

peregrinus - ignore the trolls/retards.

i'd be inclined to tell you to keep 4unit, a E3 band will still scale really well as opposed to a band 5 in 2unit (varies from year to year, but e3 4unit isn't too hard to achieve).

stick to it, and dont give up.

conics2008

HSC
Re: 回复: Re: UAI question regarding 4u maths

hey i was just asking you a simple question.

dont worry, you will never fail the HSC, because there is no such thing as " failed HSC "

ok lets talk about the weather now ?

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
peregrinus said:
what do you mean about state average being 80, is that what people get in their hsc exam?
The aligned (altered mark you receive on your portfolio/certificates) HSC mark state average is about 80 which is a raw mark of roughly 60/120 (actual unaltered exam mark). If you can do better than or equal to that, then I think you should keep Ext2.

peregrinus

HSC

conics2008 said:
hey i was just asking you a simple question.

dont worry, you will never fail the HSC, because there is no such thing as " failed HSC "

ok lets talk about the weather now ?
yeah i know it was a simple question and i just answered it, with no "flaming" or whatever intended.

just i like i asked simple question

why the weather :D

peregrinus

HSC

tommykins said:
peregrinus - ignore the trolls/retards.

i'd be inclined to tell you to keep 4unit, a E3 band will still scale really well as opposed to a band 5 in 2unit (varies from year to year, but e3 4unit isn't too hard to achieve).

stick to it, and dont give up.

doink

Clone
HSC
Trebla said:
The aligned (altered mark you receive on your portfolio/certificates) HSC mark state average is about 80 which is a raw mark of roughly 60/120 (actual unaltered exam mark). If you can do better than or equal to that, then I think you should keep Ext2.
That's wrong, it depends on the year and how difficult the test is, if its insanely hard (say maybe the arnolds decide to do it) and everydone gets ~30/120 things are different.

FACT: If you havn't got 85%+ in your assessments, chances are 4u isn't for you because the assessments are 500x easier than the trials and HSC, just have a look at a couple Q8's and you'll see what I'm talking about.

FACT: 4u is meant to be for people who like maths and are good at it, not cowboys who want to boost their UAI.

FACT: Previous analogy sucked balls.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
doink said:
That's wrong, it depends on the year and how difficult the test is, if its insanely hard (say maybe the arnolds decide to do it) and everydone gets ~30/120 things are different.

I know it depends on the difficulty of the test. I was giving a numerical estimate based on rough statistical "averages" over the last few years. Lately Ext2 exams have not been insanely hard. The Board of Studies "tries" to keep difficulty consistent every year, but one's perception of difficulty is very subjective.

doink said:
FACT: If you havn't got 85%+ in your assessments, chances are 4u isn't for you because the assessments are 500x easier than the trials and HSC, just have a look at a couple Q8's and you'll see what I'm talking about.
You couldn't be more wrong! I for one NEVER got over 85% for any of my assessments in Ext2 and I managed a HSC mark of 94 :p. Similarly, with a lot of my friends who just passed their assessments, they got almost 90 in the HSC. I didn't even go to a top 40 school. Standards across various schools are very different. Some schools set easy assessments, others set much harder assesssments and this has little correlation with the ranking of the school in the state.

doink said:
FACT: 4u is meant to be for people who like maths and are good at it, not cowboys who want to boost their UAI.
That's the ideal, but it is not the case in reality. What is the majority reason a lot of people take Ext2? They like the HIGH SCALING! I don't think most of the bottom half of the Ext2 candidature would actually "like" the maths offered in the course. A lot of people I know who did Ext2 aren't exactly the type who "like" maths. A lot of people who do 'badly' in Maths (not even close to 90 in Ext1) still do Ext2.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)