Mechanics question (1 Viewer)

vds700

HSC
froim Kings 2006 Trial

A particle is released so that it falls vertically , under the influence of gravity, in a medium whose retardation varies as the square of the velocity. Show that the terminal velocity of the particle is given by:

V = sqrt(g/k)

i am not sure about setting up the force equation. Is it:
1. R = ma = mg - mkv^2 or
2. R = ma = mg - kv^2?

Once i know this im fine with the rest of the question, just to find v as a function of t and the terminal velocity occurs when t->infinity etc.

Thanks for any help.

vds700

HSC
ok thanks...but how can u be surre in an exam, aren't they supposed to tell u the equation so theres no confusion???

Or do u just assume the constant is always mk unless they tell u otherwise??? Im confused

Last edited:

vds700

HSC
3unitz said:
they'll probably tell you in an exam. here its obvious though as they give you the terminal velocity which is independent of m. if it was ma = mg - kv^2 the terminal velocity would be sqrt(mg/k)
ah right that makes sense. Thanks mate!

vds700

HSC
3unitz said:
ask your teacher if you can just do:

the velocity will increase until the magnitude of the resistive force approaches that of the gravitational force, hence
mg - mkV^2 = 0
V = sqrt (g/k)
wow thats a much better way of doing it, yeah i will find out if u can do it this way....much quicker than the way I did it.

EDIT: The question is only worth 2 marks so I think thats the way its meant to be done.

Last edited:

vds700

HSC
3unitz said:
ask your teacher if you can just do:

the velocity will increase until the magnitude of the resistive force approaches that of the gravitational force, hence
mg - mkV^2 = 0
V = sqrt (g/k)
i asked my teacher and he said that way is fine

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)