Easy Question (1 Viewer)

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
Easy but i cant get it, it is as follows

In the diagram, PQRS is a square and STR is an equilateral triangle in the same plane. Find angle PTQ.

A) 16* B) 22*30' C) 30* D) 36* E) 40*

(* is degrees)

The diagram is attached

conics2008

HSC
its C..

30*

you said its a square therefore that triangle you speak of has the same length.. hence draw a triangle

with sides 2root of 2+root3 one side and the other crosspoding side and the opposite side length 2

use cos x= 2rootof 2+roo3 ^2 + 2root 2+root3 ^2 -4 / 2 * 2root 2+ root 3 ^2 = cos x = root3/2 = 30*

Last edited:

Mark576

Feel good ...
HSC
Simplest way to do it is to notice that ∠TRQ = 150 degrees and since triangle TRQ is isoceles (TR = RQ) ∠RTQ = ∠STP (RTQ ||| STP)(obv. they're also congruent) = 15 degrees. The result follows. You could also set the length of the square to 1 unit on an x-y cartesian co-ordinate system. Then find the gradients of TQ and PT and use the formula for the angle between two lines to find the answer, 30 degrees, (C).

Last edited:

conics2008

HSC
I dont know man, it just all connected... find angle PTQ not STP

conics2008

HSC
shaon0 said:
Wat year work is this? its obviously 60 degrees
it cant be 60* ...

you just assume the other triangle ptq is an equally triangle

shaon0

HSC
My bad did i write 60 degrees meant to be 30 degrees sorry.

conics2008

HSC
hey kurt where do you find these questions...

which books do you use for maths...

i only have 4unit cambridge and fitzpatrick.. and 3unit year 11 cambridge...

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
conics2008 said:
its C..

30*

you said its a square therefore that triangle you speak of has the same length.. hence draw a triangle

with sides 2root of 2+root3 one side and the other crosspoding side and the opposite side length 2

use cos x= 2rootof 2+roo3 ^2 + 2root 2+root3 ^2 -4 / 2 * 2root 2+ root 3 ^2 = cos x = root3/2 = 30*
Im not sure this is right, no sides were given so i cant see how you can say the side of the triangle is '2root of 2+root3' and deduce it from there. The side of the square is the same as any one of the sides of the triangle, its an equilateral triangle and one side of the triangle meets with the square...hence all sides are equal in the triangle and the square combined.

This question came from the Australian Mathematics Competition Intermediate Division (Years 9-10).

I doubt that you need trigonometry for achieveing the solution as the AMT (Australian Mathematics Trust) do not usually use trig in the tests because you cannot use calculators (even if you know the angles and their corresponding exact sides of by heart)

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
Mark576 said:
Simplest way to do it is to notice that *TRQ = 150 degrees and since triangle TRQ is isoceles (TR = RQ) *RTQ = *STP (RTQ ||| STP)(obv. they're also congruent) = 15 degrees.
OMG, this is a brilliant solution, Triangle TRQ is issoseles and therefore angle TQR = angle QTR so the angle of TQR is 15 :)

Well done

conics2008

HSC
KURT in maths sometimes you can assume the length of the sides... plus there are hundred of methods on solving that question, for me thats how i saw it ..

i can give length to those sides and find it.. you can plot them on the x-y axis and find it from there....

thats how i found it....

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
conics2008 said:
plus there are hundred of methods on solving that question, for me thats how i saw it ..

i can give length to those sides and find it.. you can plot them on the x-y axis and find it from there....

thats how i found it....
I know that many problems have hundreds of ways of solving them but Mark576's way is probably the most easiest, even though your method is more elegant, its faster (especially in the AMC where its more of a race of time than what you know).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)