Did anyone go to UTS for the math talk? (1 Viewer)

frostysnow

HSC
If so:
1) what did you think?

Personally i found the first 2 seminars quite interesting, i did rooks in the menagerie and catalan numbers, the first one is probably more useful to me since he actually taught us an easier method to solve it. But i was totally freaked out that one of the lecturer's would ask me a question and i would be like uh... dunno. It also made me realise how many smart people there are out there.

The third one i went to complex numbers. It made me really worried to the point that i'm thinking should actually start to revise.

2) would we be allowed to scan the notes we got? ( i really need someone to tell me i can - and be pretty sure about it before i put it up)

if so i wouldn't mind scanning the complex ones i got and people could post theirs if it's not already on here. People at my school are exchanging it and stuff but we still need graphs cos no one went to that. And i think the integration one was canceled?

Last edited:

cheney31

HSC
i didnt know it untill the dead line had passed..lol sigh..
they sounds really good though...

can you please post up the notes? im hopeless with complex no.... - -!

cccclaire

HSC
um, I didn't really find it very good. Maybe it was just because I was sick, or chose bad lectures. The bit at the begining was basically an hour long ceremony telling us to study maths at university.

I went to the one on infinity in the morning, which was pretty interesting I guess, the guy should have used a microphone though, coz he was really soft. Then I went to the poker one, which was pretty useless. The guy obviously knew what he was talking about, but he was pretty much just making it up as he went along, with no plan of what to say what-so-ever. And then in the afternoon I went to conics, which was ok I guess. It was pretty much revision of all the proofs, and I think my maths teacher explained most of it just as well if not better. The good bit was when we did some sample questions, but that was like 10 minutes.

Overall I think it was worth going to, but I wouldn't rave about it.

I dunno if you'd be allowed to scan the notes. Tbh, i haven't really looked at the ones I got, so I dunno if they're any good.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
回复: Re: Did anyone go to UTS for the math talk?

Huge potential but it was just me that found it boring.

Went to Coming into Terms with Reality, Markov Chains and then Conics.

PS. ccclaire - did you see the downer school at the back? in the white/green/orange jerseys? lol

cccclaire

HSC
Re: 回复: Re: Did anyone go to UTS for the math talk?

tommykins said:
Huge potential but it was just me that found it boring.

Went to Coming into Terms with Reality, Markov Chains and then Conics.

PS. ccclaire - did you see the downer school at the back? in the white/green/orange jerseys? lol
yeh I did.

I was the lone reddam girl looking bored.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
回复: Re: 回复: Re: Did anyone go to UTS for the math talk?

cccclaire said:
yeh I did.

I was the lone reddam girl looking bored.
Haha that was us. Never knew we were that big of a group of retards (Y)

i was sitting next to a fat asian guy and half caste guy. had "txpc" on my jersey.

cccclaire

HSC
Re: 回复: Re: 回复: Re: Did anyone go to UTS for the math talk?

tommykins said:
Haha that was us. Never knew we were that big of a group of retards (Y)

i was sitting next to a fat asian guy and half caste guy. had "txpc" on my jersey.
nah you guys weren't really retarded.

Much better than those suck-ups in the grey uniform sitting up the front.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
回复: Re: 回复: Re: 回复: Re: Did anyone go to UTS for the math talk?

cccclaire said:
nah you guys weren't really retarded.

Much better than those suck-ups in the grey uniform sitting up the front.
haha oath, they tried so hard it was cute.

i wanted a damn chocolate.

joshlols

HSC
Haha, was it just me or did it seem like most schools don't have many people doing 4unit in total? We had like 34 there and it seemed pretty large compared to most others I saw around O_O.

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
joshlols said:
Haha, was it just me or did it seem like most schools don't have many people doing 4unit in total? We had like 34 there and it seemed pretty large compared to most others I saw around O_O.
My school (and ccclaires) had 2 (the two of us)

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
回复: Re: Did anyone go to UTS for the math talk?

midifile said:
My school (and ccclaires) had 2 (the two of us)
haha, you wouldn't happen to be hanging arund room 31/32/33 with just you two after the first session right?

i was with my mate and we're the two asians from caringbah =O

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
Re: 回复: Re: Did anyone go to UTS for the math talk?

tommykins said:
haha, you wouldn't happen to be hanging arund room 31/32/33 with just you two after the first session right?

i was with my mate and we're the two asians from caringbah =O
Probably. I dont remember what the rooms were but I remember seeing two asian guys from caringbah. Do you mean in the area near where there were those giant silver balls hanging from the ceiling? We were in navyish jerseys (with a bit of white and gold on them) and beige skirts/pants

Last edited:

Poad

HSC
I was there. Could've been better, but meh.

First Session - Mathematics of Knots. Needless to say... it was knot interesting at all. (har har see what I did there?)
Second Session - The global warming one. It was alright, but it was pretty basic
Third Session - Induction. We didnt learn much at all. :\

And hey, I was sitting at the back near the Caringbah guys during that (boring) 'Opening Ceremony' thingy. I was the only one from my school wearing my jersey, so yeah if you saw a white/gold/maroon jersey sitting in front of you, that was me :p

joshlols

HSC
Poad said:

First Session - Mathematics of Knots. Needless to say... it was knot interesting at all. (har har see what I did there?)
Second Session - The global warming one. It was alright, but it was pretty basic

And hey, I was sitting at the back near the Caringbah guys during that (boring) 'Opening Ceremony' thingy. I was the only one from my school wearing my jersey, so yeah if you saw a white/gold/maroon jersey sitting in front of you, that was me :p
Haha I remember, with all the ruse people or something :p

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
Poad said:

Do you go to the school with blacky/greyey pants and maroon blazers with gold on them? If so, what school is it? Me and my friend spent ages trying to work it out

cccclaire

HSC
Re: 回复: Re: 回复: Re: 回复: Re: Did anyone go to UTS for the math talk?

tommykins said:
haha oath, they tried so hard it was cute.

i wanted a damn chocolate.
I liked how every time the lady managed to change a slide she'd be like "bam", it was pretty funny.
I couldn't be bothered trying for a chocolate, i figured she probably wouldn't be able to throw that far anyway, so it'd be pointless.

Poad said:
I lol'd.

But seriously, were you actually expecting the mathematics of knots to be interesting?

midifile said:
Do you go to the school with blacky/greyey pants and maroon blazers with gold on them? If so, what school is it? Me and my friend spent ages trying to work it out
yeh it looked a bit like emmanuel, so we were avoiding them, but then we saw it was different.

frostysnow

HSC
joshlols said:
we had about 10 or so people going by there are 20 -something people that does 4U, but some of them didn't see much point going

Poad

HSC
cccclaire said:
But seriously, were you actually expecting the mathematics of knots to be interesting?
Hehe, of course not! I only got dragged there coz some other guys were going to that one, so instead of being a loner in one of the other rooms by myself I just decided to tag along with them (my efforts to persuade them to pick another lecture was futile). If I'd known it was that bad, I would have much rathered gone to another one by myself.

midifile said:
Do you go to the school with blacky/greyey pants and maroon blazers with gold on them? If so, what school is it? Me and my friend spent ages trying to work it out.
Yeah, that would've been us. Its Oakhill College.

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
Poad said:
Ok. coolio. Your uniform looks like the uniform of the school I used to go to (except they didnt have the gold) and I kept seeing people and thinking 'why dont I know any of these people'

frostysnow

HSC
Poad said:
Hehe, of course not! I only got dragged there coz some other guys were going to that one, so instead of being a loner in one of the other rooms by myself I just decided to tag along with them (my efforts to persuade them to pick another lecture was futile). If I'd known it was that bad, I would have much rathered gone to another one by myself.

i see alot of you guys around castle hill, which is near where i live

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)