Should I drop Math Extension 2? (1 Viewer)

- Jul -

HSC
Im having a dilemma. I know this is a bit late, but I wanted to know other peoples thoughts on whether I should drop math ext 2.
I was aiming for a UAI of 98 or 95+
Can I get this if I drop ext 2?

My marks for my trials were:
Math ext 2: 58% [overall ass. rank = first - only person doing ext 2]
MAth ext 1: 73% [ " " = first - only person doing ext 1]
Math 2-U : 89% [ " " =first, by a long way]
Chem : 71% [ " " =2nd]
Phys : 72% [ """ =first? second? ]
Legal : havent received them yet, guess ~ 80% [ass.rank = 3rd]
Adv Eng : havent received them yet, guess ~ 70-80% [ ass. rank = first ]

And, how does the subject ranking play a role in determining UAI? How is UAI calculated in laymans terms? =SS because at the moment, thats what im freaking about. THAT, and the marks that the schools going to give me.

Last edited:

madd-eh?

Super Member.
HSC
If you get under 50 or 60% or so.. do you get scaled down in ur UAI?
I want to drop too.

madd-eh?

Super Member.
HSC
if you have missed two 2unit tasks can you do them after you drop ext2?
coz that would be ok.

melonkitten

HSC
yeh, drop.

i was in a similar position to you (slightly higher marks)
i dropped less than 2 weeks ago

trust me buddy, it is the right thing to do

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
回复: Re: Should I drop Math Extension 2?

Do a past HSC paper under exam conditions and see what you get. If you're within the 60-70% raw mark range, you'll be fine.

I do not see why on EARTH you'd drop extension 2 when you're the only person doing it, seeing as your external mark = your internal mark hence if you RIP the externals, you're bound to do well.

madd-eh? said:
If you get under 50 or 60% or so.. do you get scaled down in ur UAI?
I want to drop too.
No. there's too many other variables and unless you totally bomb out in extension 2, i don't see how it can be detrimental to your UAI.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC

madd-eh? said:
so it will scale me down?
Stop worrying about this whole scaling bullshit and concentrate on what you CAN control, that is your marks.

Want me to put it into perspective?
A band 6 in General Math scales as high as a BELOW average in extension 2 last year.

madd-eh?

Super Member.
HSC
soo getting around 50% in my trials won't make me get like.. a mystery mark in my hsc?

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC

madd-eh? said:
soo getting around 50% in my trials won't make me get like.. a mystery mark in my hsc?
Sigh, give me your ranks and your school rank.

I've been getting 70's in my assessment tasks+half yearlies and I'm ranked 6th/35.

It depends on difficulty of exam and your relative ranking between you and your cohort.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC

madd-eh? said:
soz im just real stressed.
im coming last of 3,
our marks are pretty similar for two of us, around 60%
the other guy is way ahead, like 80% usually.
trials about 50%, we're not sure of exact mark yet.
it's okay, i should have empathised more.

if your marks are relatively close, then make sure all 3 of you smash the externals (meaning if evryone gets a band 5 externally) then noone can get below a band 5.

don't worrry, it'll be worthwhile in the end. extension 2 is the highest scaling subject.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC

madd-eh? said:
ok..
freaked out so hard when i heard that i only got 50%

thanks
the extension 2 mathematics course exams are designed for students to try to GAIN marks, unlike 2unit where for 4unit stduents, you try to reduce the amount of marks lost.

kind of confusing, but makes sense.

doink

Clone
HSC
Re: 回复: Re: Should I drop Math Extension 2?

tommykins said:
Want me to put it into perspective?
A band 6 in General Math scales as high as a BELOW average in extension 2 last year.
Well considering a below average in ext 2 maths means that you got 10-20% in the exam since board aligns it alot, yet you need around 86% to get it aligned to a b6 in general, so which you think is better?

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
回复: Re: 回复: Re: Should I drop Math Extension 2?

doink said:
Well considering a below average in ext 2 maths means that you got 10-20% in the exam since board aligns it alot, yet you need around 86% to get it aligned to a b6 in general, so which you think is better?
Average scaled mark.

kinOyou

HSC
dont drop, ur doing fine. but a UAI of 98? for those marks? im sorry to dissappoint u but its not gonna happen. UNLESS ur in james ruse, or top 10 selective school, but i doubt it. I mean 1 person doing maths ext in ur school? wat kind of skool is dat? dat cant be a selective

melonkitten

HSC
kinOyou said:
dont drop, ur doing fine. but a UAI of 98? for those marks? im sorry to dissappoint u but its not gonna happen. UNLESS ur in james ruse, or top 10 selective school, but i doubt it. I mean 1 person doing maths ext in ur school? wat kind of skool is dat? dat cant be a selective
ooh, good point

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
kinOyou said:
please get a clue before posting.

- Jul -

HSC
I know my marks for trials aren't great, but I don't think they reflect what I am capable of. ==

I've been a 90%+ student for basically my whole life.
My averages for everything apart from physics are MUCH higher than what I received for trials.

That's why i was wondering that if I dropped Ext 2, then I could work on everything else, making sure that in the actual HSC, I don't stuff up like I did in the trials.

And no, I don't go to a selective school - it's just public.

Last edited:

- Jul -

HSC
CaptainNemo said:
if you're going to get a better mark with 2 and 3 unit then i'd drop it. but can you afford to drop it seeing as most of your assessments and presumably trial have been 4 unit and hence you haven't done the 2 unit tests?
I made sure to do all the 2-U assessments, and I also have to go to all of the 2-U classes, so no, I'm not behind and I don't miss out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)