Is it possible to do well if Maths Extension 2 without a tutor? (1 Viewer)

bawd

HSC
Is it possible to do well in Maths Extension 2 without a tutor?

As per thread title. I intend to do Mathematics Extension 2, but do not want to waste time tutoring. Is it possible to get into the top band without tutoring, but simply a lot of time, dedication and hard work? What do you think?

EDIT: Just noticed I made a really stupid mistake in the title.

Last edited:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
bawd said:
As per thread title. I intend to do Mathematics Extension 2, but do not want to waste time tutoring. Is it possible to get into the top band without tutoring, but simply a lot of time, dedication and hard work? What do you think?
Yes.

Any subject can be done well without a tutor. Think about how people cope with more difficult university studies then. Many don't have a tutor.

HSC
bawd said:
My brother did Ext 2 Maths without a second of tutoring, and he got a band 6. So yeah, tutoring does not necessarily = top band.

P

pLuvia

Of course. Tutoring may be just a way of reinforcing knowledge or to learn new knowledge. Or some people just go there and waste time

j3ffr0

journeyintosound
HSC
Yes for sure!
Most people need a tutor for technical help and/or motivation
Its actually good practice to learn to self teach because thats pretty well how you learn everything at uni that you dont understand.
Good luck! :)

me121

Premium Member
HSC
bawd said:
Of course! what did you think the classroom teacher was for? they will teach you all you need to know, you don't need a private tutor.

Affinity

HSC
bawd said:
Depends on ones attitude and intelligence.

monesh

HSC
Depends on your dedication to the work i guess.
Good luck with the 4 unit maths btw :)

Poad

HSC
bawd said:
YES.

Also, nice work on picking this over Extension 2 English. >_>

bawd

HSC
I see most people have read my thread on my subject selection crisis, lol. The thing is I have to get into the 80%+ range for 3 unit to be guaranteed a spot in the course. Intense two week, 3 unit training regime starts now.

I was becoming worried about 4 unit Mathematics today because people from my peer group said it was incredibly difficult to cope and a tutor was practically a necessity. Many of them have started tutoring for 4 unit in fact, and this has left me feeling a little scared.

Caitlin63

:-)
HSC
I do 4 unit, I don't have a tutor. I'm ranked first.... I don't need a tutor. The guy in my grade that accellerated 4 unit and did it last year didnt have a tutor either, he just worked his ass off.... so just do that

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
回复: Re: Is it possible to do well if Maths Extension 2 without a tutor?

bawd said:
I see most people have read my thread on my subject selection crisis, lol. The thing is I have to get into the 80%+ range for 3 unit to be guaranteed a spot in the course. Intense two week, 3 unit training regime starts now.

I was becoming worried about 4 unit Mathematics today because people from my peer group said it was incredibly difficult to cope and a tutor was practically a necessity. Many of them have started tutoring for 4 unit in fact, and this has left me feeling a little scared.
Don't be.

If you love math, there will be no problem.

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
Caitlin63 said:
I do 4 unit, I don't have a tutor. I'm ranked first.... I don't need a tutor. The guy in my grade that accellerated 4 unit and did it last year didnt have a tutor either, he just worked his ass off.... so just do that
Yep me too. In my both my 4 unit class (although there are only 2 people) and my 3 unit class (like 7 people), I am the only one who has never had maths tutoring, and im coming first in both of them.

It does take a lot of hard work, but if feels heaps good when you beat all the people who are tutored.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
回复: Re: Is it possible to do well if Maths Extension 2 without a tutor?

midifile said:
Yep me too. In my both my 4 unit class (although there are only 2 people) and my 3 unit class (like 7 people), I am the only one who has never had maths tutoring, and im coming first in both of them.

It does take a lot of hard work, but if feels heaps good when you beat all the people who are tutored.
You hurt our feelings.

melonkitten

HSC
If you need a tutor, you shouldnt be doing the subject.

Tutors are common amoung cunts and faggots (selective schools)

Just work by yourself and you should be fine.

Js^-1

No tengo pantelonès
HSC
Uncouth as the last post was, I tend to agree with the concept that if you need to have tutoring, you shouldn't be doing 4 unit maths. It is a very intense subject, and learning/teaching yourself is pretty much a given. Still, if it helps you get a better mark, I don't technically see a problem with it. But tutoring won't help you much in the long run; you won't learn how to learn, just how to go well in tests.

bawd

HSC
Re: 回复: Re: Is it possible to do well if Maths Extension 2 without a tutor?

tommykins said:
Don't be.

If you love math, there will be no problem.
I like Maths when I am drumming away at a difficult question, and cannot seem to answer it. Then when it finally hits me, it's like a big HALLELUJAH and it makes me happy, lol. I also like Maths when I am able to do the work which usually occurs after I have been paying attention to my teacher's explanations! I regret not doing so earlier in the year (don't know what happened? I think I procrastinated for one day, as well as missed out one day of school, and then I started to fall back), but now is the time to turn over a new leaf. I'm going to go borrow a few 4 unit textbooks, download notes and exam papers the moment I finish the Mathematics Extension 1 Preliminary exam. :)

Thanks for all the comments, BTW, they have been really motivating.

bawd

HSC
Js^-1 said:
Uncouth as the last post was, I tend to agree with the concept that if you need to have tutoring, you shouldn't be doing 4 unit maths. It is a very intense subject, and learning/teaching yourself is pretty much a given. Still, if it helps you get a better mark, I don't technically see a problem with it. But tutoring won't help you much in the long run; you won't learn how to learn, just how to go well in tests.
Good point - research has shown that students who rely heavily on tutoring to excel in subjects are more likely to drop out or fail at University, ironic as it may seem. I haven't had tutoring for any of my subjects since Year 6, but I guess peer pressure was starting to re-convince me? I have already discarded that notion, though.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Re: Is it possible to do well in Maths Extension 2 without a tutor?

bawd said:

EDIT: Just noticed I made a really stupid mistake in the title.
Better question: Is it possible to do well in MX2 with a tutor?

Seriously dude, it's a combo of talent and study. And you can always partially account for one with the other.

A tutor is strictly optional and you'll find a lot of people recommend against it.

Just.Snaz

HSC
Re: Is it possible to do well in Maths Extension 2 without a tutor?

While it is VERY possible to do well in 4 unit without a tutor, you still need an extremely high, and constant level of motivation and effort.

And although you may be very motivated, there could be a time when you may need some ecouragement, and having a tutor would give you a bit more of a push to help you do the work that you could get away with not doing at school.

Just thought I'd give you a scenario highlighting the pros of having a tutor; but yes, definitely, you can go very well in 4 unit without a tutor.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)