2008 HSC question 8(b) (1 Viewer)

lukezy

HSC
Another question for you guys since you were so helpful with the last one =]

Usually question 8(b) is a rite-off but this one was actually quite straight forward.
I'm fine with parts i-iii, but iv threw me off a bit.

Heres the link for the paper
http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc_exams/hsc2005exams/pdf_doc/maths_ext2_05.pdf

The worked solution for iv reads....
CP x PD = p(q+r)
similarly
QD x QC = q(p+r)
CP x PD = QD x QC (since C, P, Q and D are collinear and alpha remainds constant) *
So p(q+r) = q(p+r)
pq + pr = pq+qr or pr = qr
therefore p = q

when stating that CP x PD = QD x QC are they not assuming what we are trying to prove?

Say hypothetically that DQ = 2, QP = 5 and PC = 3
They are still all collinear and alpha is still constant
but when subbed into this "rule" we get that 21 = 16
I cannot see the logic in this solution

Any help would be appreciated
Thankyou ^^

Last edited:

conics2008

HSC
man 2005 hsc paper was soo hard, I really feel sorry for the people who did the 2005 paper, it was hard ass !!

any one find the difference between 2005 and 2007..

2007 was alot easier =]

samwell

HSC
Hahahahah i thought it was the '08 paper i was wow this guy has had like a vision on the exam. lol u mean 2005 HSC lol.

lukezy

HSC
okok 2005 hsc paper

guess the stress of the hsc has really got to me hahaha

anyway, no ideas anyone?

lolokay

HSC
no idea what their reasoning is, but what I would say (is this appropriate reasoning?) is that:
in a hyperbola such as x2/a2 - y2/a2 = 1, then if the distances of the intervals of a line intersecting the hyperbola and the corresponding assymptote at 2 points, is equal, then the y components of each interval will be the same (since the intervals have the same gradient). So, if the y axis of the graph is scaled so that we have the graph x2/a2 - y2/b2 = 1, then intervals (p and q) will still be the same.

Now suppose we were to scale and rotate the hyperbola x2/a2 - y2/a2 = 1 so that it became the hyperbola xy = 1 and intersect it with the line y = mx+b. Then, if the lengths of the intervals of the line where it intersects the hyperbola and its asymptotes (the x and y axis) are equal, then it must be the case that the intervals on x2/a2 - y2/b2 = 1 (p and q) are also equal

the line y = mx + b intersects the hyperbola xy = 1, y = 1/x at mx+b = 1/x
solving the quadratic gives x = (-b+-sqrt[b2 + 4m])/2m
the line y = mx + b intersects the x and y axis at x=0 and x=-b/m
so the lengths of the intervals in the x direction are:
(-b+sqrt[b2 + 4m])/2m
and -2b/2m - -b/2m - -sqrt[b2 + 4m])/2m
= (-b+sqrt[b2 + 4m])/2m

the intervals are equal, and thus p=q

goddamn that's long and confusing to write out.. can someone comment on the quality of this proof?

Last edited:

shaon0

HSC
lolokay said:
no idea what their reasoning is, but what I would say (is this appropriate reasoning?) is that:
in a hyperbola such as x2/a2 - y2/a2 = 1, then if the distances of the intervals of a line intersecting the hyperbola and the corresponding assymptote at 2 points, is equal, then the y components of each interval will be the same (since the intervals have the same gradient). So, if the graph if the y axis of the graph is scaled so that we have the graph x2/a2 - y2/b2 = 1, then intervals (p and q) will still be the same.

Now suppose we were to scale and rotate the hyperbola x2/a2 - y2/a2 = 1 so that it became the hyperbola xy = 1 and intersect it with the line y = mx+b. Then, if the lengths of the intervals of the line where it intersects the hyperbola and its assymptotes (the x and y axis) are equal, then it must be the case that the intervals on x2/a2 - y2/b2 = 1 (p and q) are also equal

the line y = mx + b intersects the hyperbola xy = 1, y = 1/x at mx+b = 1/x
solving the quadratic gives x = (-b+-sqrt[b2 + 4m])/2m
the line y = mx + b intersects the x and y axis at x=0 and x=-b/m
so the lengths of the intervals in the x direction are:
(-b+sqrt[b2 + 4m])/2m
and -2b/2m - -b/2m - -sqrt[b2 + 4m])/2m
= (-b+sqrt[b2 + 4m])/2m

the intervals are equal, and thus p=q

goddamn that's long and confusing to write out.. can someone comment on the quality of this proof?
lol....when are they taking conics out (ie. geometry)

lukezy

HSC
ummm.... ill read over it a few times and see if i can decipher it

thanks heaps btw

Worst comes to worst ill just show my tutor your solution and see what he thinks of it. But atleast i can see logic in it rather than the shitty solution in my past hsc papers book.

Still open for new explanations :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)