Difference of Workload (1 Viewer)

Maldini92

HSC
What is the difference of workload, as well as exam preperations and results between doing Ext1 and Ext2 maths.....

Does the extra unit of Ext2 maths give you a shitload of more maths work, or is it all proportional?

miche11e

HSC
well obviously its alot harder, so it will take more time to grasp the concepts and do your homework for ex2, but then again, you dont have to waste time doing 2 unit study and ext1 seems heaps easier so it doesnt take as long... in the end, i guess it kinda balences out, but exam prep and stuff is more work for ext2.

dood09

Frontier Psychiatrist ☻
HSC
N/A
no, its a much, much more work.

Ext1:
|==|

Ext 2:
|=========================================================================================================|

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Maldini92 said:
What is the difference of workload, as well as exam preperations and results between doing Ext1 and Ext2 maths.....

Does the extra unit of Ext2 maths give you a shitload of more maths work, or is it all proportional?
Apparently MX2 is over-rated. I did some studying complex numbers and it's pretty easy actually.

dood09

Frontier Psychiatrist ☻
HSC
N/A
lyounamu said:
Apparently MX2 is over-rated. I did some studying complex numbers and it's pretty easy actually.
err, anyone can do complex numbers

dont get ahead of yourself

undalay

HSC
lyounamu said:
Complex numbers is very very easy to learn.

Applying it is much harder.
Esp in combination with other topics.

Workload wise;
For me math takes up roughly 75% of my time (for all subjects)

miche11e

HSC
^ me too, but thats jest cos its so much easier to study for maths and i study it whenever i dont feel like studying.

melonkitten

HSC
undalay said:
Complex numbers is very very easy to learn.

Applying it is much harder.
Esp in combination with other topics.

Workload wise;
For me math takes up roughly 75% of my time (for all subjects)
this is very accurate.

Maldini92

HSC
There is a bit of conflicting information but i guess its different to everyone.

But i can now assume doing Ext2 would involve a LOT more work than just Ext1??

Around how many hours do you do maths per night in Ext2, and how many hours if you do Ext1? xD

conics2008

HSC
lyounamu said:
that is baby numbers.. you havn't seen what complex number can really do...

try doing complex numbers combined with other topics eg harder 3unit.. then say complex is easy..

ill admit the basics are easy, de mov is easy etc etc.. but when it comes to applications.. its get you hardcore style..

plus the work load .. its the same as 3unit but harder version of it..so take care when doing 4unit =]

Js^-1

No tengo pantelonès
HSC
Yeh, the basics are always easy. Applying them is the bitchy part.

I do probably 40% Ext 2 maths, 20% Ext 1 maths, 30% Physics, 10% Chemistry.

undalay

HSC
Maldini92 said:
There is a bit of conflicting information but i guess its different to everyone.

But i can now assume doing Ext2 would involve a LOT more work than just Ext1??

Around how many hours do you do maths per night in Ext2, and how many hours if you do Ext1? xD
90% 4u, 10% 3u

but thats because alot of topics do overlap, and by doing 4u, the 3u work really isnt required.

E.g. You learn perms and combs in 3u, then spend the rest "harder 3u"

vds700

HSC
lyounamu said:
i agree it is over-rated

There is quite alot of easy content in MX2, as has been said, anyone can add and multiply complex no.s together etc, even conics, stuff like finding the eccentricity, foci and directrices of ellipses and hyperbolas is pretty basic. The hard part is applying these concepts in exams.

I spend more time on maths x2 than any other subject, that;s because i enjoy it.

50 % MX2, 10% MX1, rest on phys, chem and english

conics2008

HSC
vds700 said:
i agree it is over-rated

There is quite alot of easy content in MX2, as has been said, anyone can add and multiply complex no.s together etc, even conics, stuff like finding the eccentricity, foci and directrices of ellipses and hyperbolas is pretty basic. The hard part is applying these concepts in exams.

I spend more time on maths x2 than any other subject, that;s because i enjoy it.

50 % MX2, 10% MX1, rest on phys, chem and english
hey vds.. ive got the exam paper from my school, ive just been lazy this past 2-3 weeks.. sorry about the lateness.. ive uploaded it on the resource page under general.. i didn't know how to put it all under one pdf file soo its in pages form.. approx 9 pages...

soo yeah...

nottellingu

HSC
Whenever i see complex number questions in q7 & 8 the immediate reaction is fuck and i look at how much the q is worth to see how many marks im potentially going to loose :vcross:

Yer do 4u and 3u becomes piss easy. You shouldnt really loose any marks in 3u integration, parametrics, volumes, projectile motion.....basically in 4u you use ur knowledge from ext1 in the early steps of solving a problem so u get better at it eventually.

And 4u is pretty over-rated in my opinion. All those ppl that were lik ohh its freakin hard 50% will scale to 90's ...all bullshit !!! Ppl who say that kindve crap r ppl that didnt do 4u or ppl that couldnt handle it lol. All the core topics r easy to understand but the difference is in a 4u paper there will be a fair few hard questions that differentiate between studnets.

jules.09

HSC
Maldini92 said:

I would agree that 4 unit is overrated. I think 3 unit isn't actually difficult, mastering the basics and simply applying them doesn't force you to think outside the square.

I would say 4 unit does make you think outside of the square and under exam conditions, there's much more pressure and added difficulty. So that extra unit isn't really a 1 unit workload and isn't proportional. :p

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
My time: 4unit=40%; 3unit=20%; Bio=15%; Eco=15%; Chem=10%

EDIT: lol I just realised I left out english, but thats pretty much correct as all my english study is confined to the night before.

The thing with 4unit is that hard work actually shows, and if you put in more work you will see your marks improve to a point (pretty much learning the basics). But then past that point it is really just talent and ability and being able to work out what to do.

Btw, namu, its good that you are teaching yourself 4unit, but like others have said, some of the applications of complex numbers are really quite hard. When I was learning complex numbers I was all like "this isnt that hard", but harder complex is one of my worst sections of the 4unit paper.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)