2008 Ext 2 Maths Hsc Paper Thoughts (1 Viewer)

conics2008

HSC
So, guys its not long before we sit for the dam 4unit paper, so what kind of questions do you think we will be asked in that stupid paper..

What are your thoughts on question 7 and 8 =]

I'm aiming on not to attempt the probability question and btw forget about doing circles every year there has been a decline in circle geo questions.

so whats your thoughts ?

Js^-1

No tengo pantelonès
HSC
Yeh there will be one circle geometry question I think. They have been declining, but I think it will still be in it until they change the syllabus.
Question 1: Integration and Partial Fractions
Question 2: Complex Numbers
Question 3: Graphs and other things...
After that it starts to get a bit sketchier, differing from year to year. Probability is going to be a bitch, but not as bad as the inequalities methinks. Overall, the exams recently have been hard, but hopefully its do-able.

[Yay, 100th post :) ]

Js^-1

No tengo pantelonès
HSC
Tbh I don't really know very much about the 3 unit exam. I have been concentrating on four unit for a long time so much so that I have kind of neglected the 3 unit part. Question 1 is usually miscellaneous questions that are harder two unit. Differentiation, integration, inequalities with an unknown in the denominator and things like that. Basically, as far as I know, there isn't a set structure in terms of what subjects are in each question, like the start of the 4 unit exam. Expect questions about Probability, Circle Geometry, Geometry, Parametrics, Projectile Motion and pretty much every topic assessable.

I've been looking at last years 3 unit exam, and there isn't any induction questions. Is this normal?

addikaye03

The A-Team
HSC
hey i noticed that too! And there is usually a induction question, also note there is no binomial theorem last year, my guess is it will be assessed. i think:

Question 1: Just 2u (harder), substitution, 3u coordinate geometry... maybe some tangent to the curve kinda question
Question 2: Some inverse trig question, maybe a polynomial question (roots), Some permutation & combination
Question 3: Minima Maxima prob, parametric, binomial probabilty,
Question 4: Circle geometry, rates of change
Question 5: SHM, i got a hunch there is gona be a financial math Q
Question 6: some exponential growth and decay maybe
Question 7: Projectile motion...+?

They will have a sin^2x & cos^2x expansion too. Does anyone else have an ideas? and does anyone else hate probability? lol

conics2008

HSC
ronnknee said:
Can't tell
Sounds like you know something.

Anywho, my view of the 2007 was that it was really straight forward including quesiton 8.

But if there is any probability question im just going to skip it, because i know its going to waste my time xD

jkwii

Ultimate Member
HSC
im thinking more about the harder Qs at the end of the paper which i think will be some circle motion Q (hopefully not non-uniform circular motion although it hasn't been tested for a while) and a really cool perms and comms Q.

nottellingu

HSC
jkwii said:
im thinking more about the harder Qs at the end of the paper which i think will be some circle motion Q (hopefully not non-uniform circular motion although it hasn't been tested for a while) and a really cool perms and comms Q.
Non uniform circular motion isnt in the syllabus as far as i know. You just have to know the proof.

I think we can expect it to be simillar to last yrs paper.
However......there has been talk that this yrs paper is going to be one of the HaaarrdessR MX2 papers in history lol.
We shall wait and see. Personally id love that happen cos they'll have no choice but to scale us. Hard exams r heaps better ranking wise than easy ones. If its an easy test and u make silly mistakes game over. If its a hard test and u make a few silly errors wont cost u as badly.

vds700

HSC
nottellingu said:
I think we can expect it to be simillar to last yrs paper.
However......there has been talk that this yrs paper is going to be one of the HaaarrdessR MX2 papers in history lol.
I don't see the point in trying to predict whats gonna be on the paper, they could ask anything. IMO its best just to focus on study and doing past papers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)