4 unit students dont sit a 2 unit paper??? (1 Viewer)

Michaelmoo

cbff...
HSC
Hi there. Im in year 11 and I've recently heard from a number of people that 4 unit students dont sit for the 2 unit paper for the HSC. This has been a concern for me, mainly because of the disadvantage of harder papers.

Is this true, is it compulsory to sit out the 2-unit HSC exam or is it an option??

What can be the advantages of doing something like this???

Does your the UAI include 4 units of maths or only the two papers you sat for?

Please HELP!!! Thanks.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Michaelmoo said:
Hi there. Im in year 11 and I've recently heard from a number of people that 4 unit students dont sit for the 2 unit paper for the HSC. This has been a concern for me, mainly because of the disadvantage of harder papers.

Is this true, is it compulsory to sit out the 2-unit HSC exam or is it an option??

What can be the advantages of doing something like this???

Does your the UAI include 4 units of maths or only the two papers you sat for?

Please HELP!!! Thanks.
If you do 4 unit, they totally ignore the 2 unit component and make 3 unit maths 2 unit and 4 unit into 2 unit.

Michaelmoo

cbff...
HSC
lyounamu said:
If you do 4 unit, they totally ignore the 2 unit component and make 3 unit maths 2 unit and 4 unit into 2 unit.
I dont understand so how does the scaling and everything work?? people doing only 2 and 3 unit have an advantage...

monesh

HSC
Michaelmoo said:
I dont understand so how does the scaling and everything work?? people doing only 2 and 3 unit have an advantage...
people doing 4 unit maths that do well have an even better advantage.

Boxxxhead

Local hairy ethnic man
HSC
Michaelmoo said:
4unit is scaled based on the 3unit results of the 4uniters in comparison to people who only do 3unit. Similar, 3unit is scaled based on their 2unit results in comparison to the 2uniters. It's something along those lines, and done so they can compare mathematical ability across subjects.

It's why 4unit is one of VERY few subs where the scaled mark is often higher than the aligned mark, with 3unit often being the only other sub. It might be hard to get an 80 in 4unit, a LOT harder than in 2unit, but the Board of Studies realises this and makes an 80 in 4unit worth a hell of a lot in terms of scaled marks. If maths is your best subject, then you won't be disadvantaged, because it just means more maths will count towards your UAI.

Last edited:

Michaelmoo

cbff...
HSC
So, does that mean you still have to attend two unit classes??? And does the UAI count all your maths subjects as 4 whole units???

vds700

HSC
Also note that they have the 2 unit and extension 2 HSC exams at the same time, so u can only do 1 of them. What some people do is do the assessmnets and trials for 2, 3 and 4u, then decide after trials whether to drop 2unit or not.

HSC
you still have to attend 2 unit classes because 3unit and 4 unit are based on 2 unit for several subjects. the uai ignores 2 unit maths and counts Ext 1 as 2 units and ext 2 as 2 units also. you get a notionry (sp?) band 6 in 2 unit because it is believed that if you can do 4 unit you can go really well at 2 unit.
as people have said if you are good at maths the disadvantage in not doing the 2 unit course is far out weighed by the scaling process

me121

Premium Member
HSC
wookie skimmer said:
you get a notionry (sp?) band 6 in 2 unit because it is believed that if you can do 4 unit you can go really well at 2 unit.
i don't think so.. they just write on your hsc documents from the bos that if the student did mathematics (2u) it is likely they would get a band 6.

Michaelmoo

cbff...
HSC
Ok. So basically I get the idea how it works. My final question, if you are exceptionally good in 2 and 3-unit, would there be any disadvantage in choosing Extension 2? I mean, would you be better off doing 2-unit and extension one maths or the extension ones and two maths.

By "good" I mean getting over 90% in 2 and 3 unit, where all mistakes are "silly", with a relatively high school standard. What would be the best decision, 2-unit and 3-unit or 3 and 4 unit???

Please tell em why, consider that you could get over 95 in every respective 2-unit papper with ease, but still over 90 in 3-unit.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
hahaha you'd be an idiot if you opted 2unit over 4unit if you're good at 2 and 3unit.

solely for the scaling and mathematical challenge within 4unit, i find 2unit so boring.

me121

Premium Member
HSC
tommykins said:
hahaha you'd be an idiot if you opted 2unit over 4unit if you're good at 2 and 3unit.

solely for the scaling and mathematical challenge within 4unit, i find 2unit so boring.
i was good at 2u and 3u, but didn't do 4u. heaps of people do this. for reasons such as adding another unit means too much workload, 4u is hard, 4u takes time to study for just for 1 extra unit, etc..

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
me121 said:
i was good at 2u and 3u, but didn't do 4u. heaps of people do this. for reasons such as adding another unit means too much workload, 4u is hard, 4u takes time to study for just for 1 extra unit, etc..
but if you wanted to drop a subject and pick up 4u for 10units, would you?

Michaelmoo

cbff...
HSC
SO say I did 4 unit, but later found I wasnt really good at it, when would be the FINAL time which I could decide whether I want to sit the 4 or 2 unit HSC.

What I mean is when would I have to finalise whether Im keeping it or not. Can it be as late as the trials? Or the semester 1 exams????

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
schools normally make you do a 2unit assesment in case you drop 4u.

tkddavo

HSC
no because ext 1 in the prelims is practically yr12 2 unit. However remember ext 1 consists of harder 2 unit so you still have to study for 2 unit

EViL.GENiUS

Black Member
HSC
Michaelmoo said:
The 2U and 4U HSC paper is done at the same time. Which means if you do 4U u don't do the 2U paper. It should be clear now.

cheney31

HSC
oi...stop thinking this 4u 3u 2u stuff.. becoz math is essentially all one.. so 4u is just a harder math paper thats all

plus let me give u an example.. getting a 94 for 2u will be scaled to something like below 90 probably 88 im not sure. BUT getting a 94 for 4u will get u scaled to 96.x
now see the superior of doin 4u?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)