non-uniform circular motion (1 Viewer)

jkwii

Ultimate Member
HSC
is this in the hsc course cos i am learning it from my friend's tutor's notes and i was like w...t...f... it has Qs like motion in a vertical circle and shit like that where w is a constant.

nottellingu

HSC
No its not...hsc is only uniform circular motion as of 2001 ~.
Feel free to correct me if i am wrong

jkwii

Ultimate Member
HSC
oh god contradicting statements. what is the answer?

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
nottellingu said:
No its not...hsc is only uniform circular motion as of 2001 ~.
Feel free to correct me if i am wrong
The syllabus for Maths Ext2 has not changed since 1990. The 2000 HSC paper had a vertical circular motion problem. There was also one in 1996 which had a tangential force in vertical circular motion.

It is certainly possible that non-uniform circular motion can be examined, though most examples in the syllabus use a uniform circular motion case. When you did the derivation (that's if you did it), of the circular motion equations, you should be derived a formula for the tangential force which is non-zero when the circular motion is non-uniform.

If a question of that nature were to arise, then you will most likely be given the vectors and be expected to resolve them yourself. This usually assesses the "skills" component of the course (i.e. your ability to apply your knowledge in unfamiliar situations).

cheney31

HSC
Trebla said:
The syllabus for Maths Ext2 has not changed since 1990. The 2000 HSC paper had a vertical circular motion problem. There was also one in 1996 which had a tangential force in vertical circular motion.

It is certainly possible that non-uniform circular motion can be examined, though most examples in the syllabus use a uniform circular motion case. When you did the derivation (that's if you did it), of the circular motion equations, you should be derived a formula for the tangential force which is non-zero when the circular motion is non-uniform.

If a question of that nature were to arise, then you will most likely be given the vectors and be expected to resolve them yourself. This usually assesses the "skills" component of the course (i.e. your ability to apply your knowledge in unfamiliar situations).

yea i remember that question in 2000 paper.. even my math teacher strugled with that...

jkwii

Ultimate Member
HSC
its quite funny actually. most schools will avoid it due to its lack of testing in both hsc and trial exams - i mean we didnt do it and i go to a selective school (NSB). im kinda worried since the syllabus is changing in a few yrs and they will stick in a Q like the 2000 hsc one or maybe one we havnt seen before. i have been going through some Qs from the british A-level textbooks.

i'd advise you'll get some practice since past hsc has only like 3 examples over the last 20 yrs.

AkaiHanabi

Thread killer
HSC
In class we've come across two questions from the past HSC papers from 1992 and 1993. I don't think it's been removed from the syllabus, because we were taught it, but it doesn't seem to be tested very often

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)