Complex roots of Unity Question (1 Viewer)

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Hi all,

I have questions that are driving me CRAZY, I hope that someone could explain WHY it is this way (for 2nd question)...

Question are:

1. "If ὦ is a non-real fifth root of 1, show that 1+ὦ+ὦ234=0" [I have some clue on how to do this one, but it isn't driving me crazy]

2. "Factorise z5-1 as real factors... [this one I have NO clue, it's spinning my head] My working so far for this is below...

Now, for k=1 I have z1=cis(4pi/5)

For k=-1 I have z2=cis(-4pi/5)

I know that they're conjugate pairs, but when you add them together WHY do you get 2cis(4pi/5)??????? This is driving me CRAZY!!!

Isn't 4pi/5 in the 3rd quadrant, therefore cos should be negative, and therefore I should get -2cis(4pi/5)?? In other words, why does cis(-4pi/5) become cis(4pi/5)?

Thank you heaps if you can help me.

Jason

Last edited:

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Okay editted, sorry for the error, clearly I've been driven crazy.

Thanks,

Jason

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
回复: Complex roots of Unity Question

jm01 said:
Hi all,

I have a question that's driving me CRAZY, I hope that someone could explain WHY it is this way...

Question is: "If ὦ is a non-real fifth root of 1, show that 1+ὦ+ὦ234=0"

I know that they're conjugate pairs, but when you add them together WHY do you get 2cis(4pi/5)??????? This is driving me CRAZY!!!

Isn't 4pi/5 in the 3rd quadrant, therefore cos should be negative, and therefore I should get -2cis(4pi/5)?? In other words, why does cis(-4pi/5) become cis(4pi/5)?

Jason
Lol, sum of roots = 0.

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Sorry, editted again. Thanks alot if you can help me.

Thanks,

Jason

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
回复: Complex roots of Unity Question

jm01 said:
Hi all,

I have questions that are driving me CRAZY, I hope that someone could explain WHY it is this way (for 2nd question)...

Question are:

1. "If ὦ is a non-real fifth root of 1, show that 1+ὦ+ὦ234=0" [I have some clue on how to do this one, but it isn't driving me crazy]

2. "Factorise z5-1 as real factors... [this one I have NO clue, it's spinning my head] My working so far for this is below...

Jason
(z-1) is a given.
You obtain all the roots, and multiply them together in the form of (z+root) here. This should then cancel out the conjugate pairs leaving (z^2+2Re(z) + 1) or something like that, I forgot.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
jm01 said:
Hi all,

I have a question that's driving me CRAZY, I hope that someone could explain WHY it is this way...

Question is: "If ὦ is a non-real fifth root of 1, show that 1+ὦ+ὦ234=0"

Jason
cis (2π/5) + cis (-2π/5) is NOT 2cis (2π/5), it is 2cos (2π/5)
cis (-2π/5) = cos (-2π/5) + isin (-2π/5)
Now using: sin (-x) = - sin x and cos (-x) = cos x
=> cis (-2π/5) = cos (2π/5) - isin (2π/5)
This is the conjugate of cis (2π/5) = cos (2π/5) + isin (2π/5)
[notice the sign of the imaginary part is different, so the two are in the form x + iy and x - iy]
When you add them up:
cis (2π/5) + cis (-2π/5)
= cos (2π/5) + isin (2π/5) + cos (2π/5) - isin (2π/5)
= 2cos (2π/5)

Second of all, with regards to the original question, it can be proved in a few lines without considering the actual roots themselves.
Since ω5 = 1 => ω5 - 1 = 0
But: (ω5 - 1) / (ω - 1) = (ω4 + ω3 + ω2 + ω + 1) by geometric series formula, so
5 - 1) = (ω - 1)(ω4 + ω3 + ω2 + ω + 1)
=> (ω - 1)(ω4 + ω3 + ω2 + ω + 1) = 0
But since ω is not real, then ω =/= 1, thus the other factor has to equal zero i.e.:
ω4 + ω3 + ω2 + ω + 1 = 0

Last edited:

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Trebla said:
Yeah sorry about that, I've been driven crazy... I mean 2cos

How about cos(-4π/5)? Since it's in 3rd quadrant, shouldn't cos be negative and thus give -2cos? I know it doesn't but this is the bit that I don't understand.

Thank you alot for your help, I really do appreciate it.

Thanks,

Jason

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Hi again,

I guess what I really don't get is, how cos-4π/5 = cos4π/5, and sin-4π/5 = -sin4π/5

With -2π/5, I can understand it, because cos is positive in 4th quadrant, whilst sin is not and thus becomes negative, but for -4π/5, both sin and cos are in the 3rd quadrant, so shouldn't they both be negative? (This is the part driving me skits)

Thanks again,

Jason

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
jm01 said:
How about cos(-4π/5)? Since it's in 3rd quadrant, shouldn't cos be negative and thus give -2cos? I know it doesn't but this is the bit that I don't understand.
The theorem: sin (-x) = - sin x and cos (-x) = cos x holds regardless of how big or negative x actually is:
sin (-x) = - sin x because y = sin x is an odd function for ALL real x
cos (-x) = cos x because y = cos x is an even function for ALL real x
cis (-4π/5) + cis (4π/5) = 2cos (4π/5) < 0, since cos (4π/5) < 0
So yes, it is negative, but there is no negative sign because it's incoporated in the unevaluated cos (4π/5).

Last edited:

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Hi,

Thank you very much for that.

Can you tell me what that theorem is called? I want to look it up in my textbook books, I don't think I found that it directed stated that.

Thanks,

Jason

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
I don't think there's a name for it. It's merely common knowledge: (probably covered in Preliminary Trigonometry)

It arises from the fact that for an odd function f(-x) = - f(x), and for an even function f(-x) = f(x).

From the graph, you should realise that f(x) = sin x is an odd function (point symmetry about the origin), so
sin (-x) = - sin x

Similarly from the graph, you should realise that f(x) = cos x is an even function (symmetry about the y-axis), so
cos (-x) = cos x

chaldoking

HSC
Trebla said:
cis (-2π/5) = cos (-2π/5) + isin (-2π/5)
Now using: sin (-x) = - sin x and cos (-x) = cos x
=> cis (-2π/5) = cos (2π/5) - isin (2π/5)
This is the conjugate of cis (2π/5) = cos (2π/5) + isin (2π/5)
[notice the sign of the imaginary part is different, so the two are in the form x + iy and x - iy]
When you add them up:
cis (2π/5) + cis (-2π/5)
= cos (2π/5) + isin (2π/5) + cos (2π/5) - isin (2π/5)
= 2cos (2π/5)

Second of all, with regards to the original question, it can be proved in a few lines without considering the actual roots themselves.
Since ω5 = 1 => ω5 - 1 = 0
But: (ω5 - 1) / (ω - 1) = (ω4 + ω3 + ω2 + ω + 1) by geometric series formula, so
5 - 1) = (ω - 1)(ω4 + ω3 + ω2 + ω + 1)
=> (ω - 1)(ω4 + ω3 + ω2 + ω + 1) = 0
But since ω is not real, then ω =/= 1, thus the other factor has to equal zero i.e.:
ω4 + ω3 + ω2 + ω + 1 = 0
JIBRISH LOL - IS THAT FOR ONE SINGLE QUESTION :|

Crates

Banned
HSC
chaldoking said:
AHAHAHA, totally agree. That's absolute gibberish.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
chaldoking said:
Yes, it's not as complex (lolpun) as you think.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
chaldoking said:
It's gibberish to you, because you don't understand one bit of it :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)