Tell me about 4Unit (1 Viewer)

micuzzo

HSC
Hi i am considering taking 4u maths and just had some gerneral questions... how many hours a day would most people study for 4u...

also... a teacher told me that 4u should be done by people who are considering tkaing a science based course at uni such as engineering, as it will help them greatly.... is this true??

thanks for your help...

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
yeah basically, u'd need to spend most of ur time doing maths, free periods and at home

micuzzo

HSC
but tell me in terms of hours... like 3 hours soley on 4u a day or something>

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
micuzzo said:
No. It's not about amount of time you put into the subject. It's about HOW and WHAT you do in during certain period.

As they say, quality > quantity.

But in terms of amount, I can confidently say that I will spend an hour a day.

-Anfernee-

HSC
micuzzo said:

yeah , like 2-4 hours a day depending on how dumb you are.

It'll be a big advantage to have done 4 unit maths in uni as most Engineering and Science courses have a lot of 4 unit content in the first year.
You will definitely be at a disadvantage if you don't do 4 unit..

-Anfernee-

HSC
micuzzo said:
:jaw:

what about other subjects

What about them?..time management comes into play here.

4unit maths is 40% of your UAI requirement. So it deserves 40% of your time..each day.

micuzzo

HSC
-Anfernee- said:
What about them?..time management comes into play here.

4unit maths is 40% of your UAI requirement. So it deserves 40% of your time..each day.
how long is a day...??? if you study 4 hours soley on 4u and that is only 40% then u must study 40 a day... (not possible)

-Anfernee-

HSC
micuzzo said:
how long is a day...??? if you study 4 hours soley on 4u and that is only 40% then u must study 40 a day... (not possible)
If you study ten hours a day, doing 4 hours is 40%

I originally said 2-4 hours a day depending on how stupid you are.

lol , 4 hours out of 40 is 10%, not 40%

I think you shouldn't do 4unit..

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
micuzzo said:
Revise your mathematics kiddo.

micuzzo

HSC
-Anfernee- said:
If you study ten hours a day, doing 4 hours is 40%

I originally said 2-4 hours a day depending on how stupid you are.

lol , 4 hours out of 40 is 10%, not 40%

I think you shouldn't do 4unit..
good point...

how many units do most people do if they do 4U... i mean as a total

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
Franman said:
To avoid making a new thread, I'll just ask my question here.

People have already suggested around 1-2 hours per day but how much time should I allocate for MX1?

[E.g. 30minutes for MX1 for every hour I do for MX2]

Also 2unit is assumed knowledge as well as not being tested in the MX2 exam. Should I even study any content in 2unit? Or is understanding the concept enough?
u shud know all the concepts in 2unit, eg integration and trig and other stuff that is important for 3/4unit, u just need an understanding.
just do as much as you see fit, whichever u need to do more, do more. they are both worth 2 units so make you know both of them well

cccclaire

HSC
I would say about an hour or two a night on just maths. But that would be 3u or 4u, depending on where the homework is.

You'd have to do a bit more on weekends though.

It's worth it though, if you're good at maths, definately do 4u.

friction

HSC
Hmm all these people saying that you needed to do 2 hours a day of maths everyday all year. What a joke. I didnt even do the work in class cause im too lazy let alone any at home. Cram sess 2 days before each test is all i did and even those cram sessions were only about 6 hours a day. Thats changing now but for the HSC cause i want an e4.

2 days before the trial i hadnt even done the mechanics or harder ext 1 topics. Probably why i went so bad.

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
friction said:
Hmm all these people saying that you needed to do 2 hours a day of maths everyday all year. What a joke. I didnt even do the work in class cause im too lazy let alone any at home. Cram sess 2 days before each test is all i did and even those cram sessions were only about 6 hours a day. Thats changing now but for the HSC cause i want an e4.

2 days before the trial i hadnt even done the mechanics or harder ext 1 topics. Probably why i went so bad.
A perfect example of what not to do...

Michaelmoo

cbff...
HSC
Hey there. When I first asked about 4-unit, people told me no its too hard dont bother etc etc. Im in year 11 now and started studying it in the holidays. It does take some serious practice, I guess quantitatively it depends on your skill and understanding in maths. So far Im finding that questions of different types need to be done.

The work can be quite difficult at start, however practice will help to improve your skills. Also, Im finding you have to be really good at 2 and 3 unit, basically know everythign by heart as a lot of 4-unti questions incorporate concepts from these cources.

Again this is my opinion. Try asking someone thats completeted the cource, or more importantly teachers.

Good Luck.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
回复: Re: Tell me about 4Unit

4u is simply harder 3u but with that extra 'stepping stone' in solving mathematical problems.

you need to develop a '4u' way of thinking.

friction

HSC
Continuum said:
A perfect example of what not to do...
Im ranked 2/4 still. The guy that was first i would have to of been working all year to beat as he worked all year and i was never gonna do that. So really no harm done.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
friction said:
Im ranked 2/4 still. The guy that was first i would have to of been working all year to beat as he worked all year and i was never gonna do that. So really no harm done.
You probably only beat people who tried less harder than you, so no harm done to them as well.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
回复: Re: Tell me about 4Unit

friction said:
Come first in a selective school then talk =]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)