how do you appraoch a question which is unapproachable ?? (1 Viewer)

conics2008

HSC
well as you can see some question you just go blank...

wat do u do

u-borat

Banned
HSC
i skip it, and hope for a bolt of inspiration later in the exam after I've done everything i possibly can.

its wierd; like in my trials, when i did it first time round, i ended up skipping half the questions, and i was thinking fuckfuckfuck in the exam; but then when i went back i dunno how but i just managed to do some of them. =S

AkaiHanabi

Thread killer
HSC
It depends. How much is the question worth? Do you have any idea of what to do? If not, I'd say skip it, and wait till you've finished all the other questions. Come back to it last, and then try to use your instinct to come up with what to do. because you're doing it last, you can afford to go with whatever you've thought of first, and if that doesn't work try another method.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
always try occam's razor's approach - think simple.

conics2008

HSC
what happens if you run out of time and you F**d in the face ??

I know the skippin rule and everything, but your aim is to maximse your marks right ??

Alot of examples are from the hsc paper 2003 and some from the 1990's ??

Animals

Banned
HSC
Well, I don't do 4U but when I do my maths exam, I just skim through it at first only doing the questions I'm positive about. When I go through it the second time everything starts to hit me.

Bear in mind, I've been averaging 50% for Maths. :D

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Have good attempt at the question for about 4-5 minutes whether that be trying a bit of working or mentally figuring it out.
Don't just glance at it for a minute and then skip it. You'd be surprised how often you can discover/brainstorm the solution by just stopping and thinking about it.
If you take 5 minutes or longer with little progress, then it's probably not worth your time to ponder any further...

Js^-1

No tengo pantelonès
HSC
Like what Tommykins said. Think simple. If its got anything to do with trigonometry, go through the parts of trig, i.e. triangles and double angles etc. If there is a question where it asks you to prove something, look at the answer and look for things about the answer you know. If your plugging through the algebra and find your not getting anywhere, look for patterns in your working out, and if you still are lost, move on.

Affinity

HSC
conics2008 said:
well as you can see some question you just go blank...

wat do u do
Stare at it til you figure out how to do it

QuLiT

HSC
think of it graphically e.i draw a graph or picture, try and relate it to questions you've done before

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)