Quick question (1 Viewer)

jameszhang

HSC
In the maths ext2 hsc exam, would you need to express modular-argument form in full? Or can you express it as "cis" without losing marks?

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
do it e^ix

train urself for uni. do cis in uni and u get marks taken off

-Onlooker-

HSC
OP

I've always had the same Q!

I always lean on just writing 2cis(pie/3) or whatever it is, then I got paranoid so I write Modulus = 2 Argument = pie/3, then I get even more paranoid and write the whole expansion (2cospie/3 + 2isinpi/3 ) then after I do that I realise wow, what an epic waste of time.

My advice: Avoid the headache/paranoia; just skip to step 3^^ straight away.

Top Secret

HSC
OP

I've always had the same Q!

I always lean on just writing 2cis(pie/3) or whatever it is, then I got paranoid so I write Modulus = 2 Argument = pie/3, then I get even more paranoid and write the whole expansion (2cospie/3 + 2isinpi/3 ) then after I do that I realise wow, what an epic waste of time.

My advice: Avoid the headache/paranoia; just skip to step 3^^ straight away.
Haha, +1

Just to be safe, write in full form. It takes what, an extra 5sec? But, may save you from some post-exam stress regarding markers not accepting the cis form.

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
we had a conference thing with an mx2 marker and he said if you make some indication that cis = cos + isin then it's fine to use cis.

i'll write, eg. cis(pi/2) where cis(pi/2) = cos(pi/2) + isin(pi/2) and then use cis for the rest of the paper.

Top Secret

HSC
we had a conference thing with an mx2 marker and he said if you make some indication that cis = cos + isin then it's fine to use cis.

i'll write, eg. cis(pi/2) where cis(pi/2) = cos(pi/2) + isin(pi/2) and then use cis for the rest of the paper.
Hmm, don't think that will work, since different markers mark different questions.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Helo; I don't think complex expressions in the form e^ix are in the hsc syllabus.
e^ix = cosx + isinx

there is no difference and they CANNOT mark you down for it unles their 'mod-arg' form restricts you to Rcis@ which is pretty lol worthy

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
Hmm, don't think that will work, since different markers mark different questions.
oh yeah, sorry, i meant the question.

i meant that i'll do that for the whole paper, write that line out in each question. my bad.

Affinity

HSC
It's just notation.. I don't see anything wrong with cis.. but e^(ix) is probably the better notation.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
It's just notation.. I don't see anything wrong with cis.. but e^(ix) is probably the better notation.
haha yeah i remember whinging about having to do e^ix but now its second nature.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)