Ext 2 Maths Overated? Yay or Nay (1 Viewer)

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
I know we've only gotten through like 1/3 of the course but do you guys find ext 2 overhyped? I mean, don't get me wrong, it can be quite challenging. But i find many other 3U topics harder in their nature.

Anyways, this thread will probably come to bite me sometime later on this/next year. But still.

Discuss.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Yes, it is overhyped. If you think about it, there's quite a few easy marks to get. Complex numbers, graphs, some polynomial stuff...

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
Yeah and the scaling is just ridiculous aye (not that i'm complaining). But it's just over a pass mark for an E4.

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
The strictly 4U topics I don't believe are overly difficult, however the questions you get at the back of the paper - Q7, 8 - can be quite ruthless...

bleakarcher

HSC
Which topics have you finished dude? Most usually begin with topics including Complex Numbers, Graphs (which to be honest I actually struggled with a bit lol) and these two are by far some of the easiest. As the year progresses, you will find that topics such as Mechanics and Harder 3U are not to be under-estimated.

funnytomato

HSC
I know we've only gotten through like 1/3 of the course but do you guys find ext 2 overhyped? I mean, don't get me wrong, it can be quite challenging. But i find many other 3U topics harder in their nature.

Anyways, this thread will probably come to bite me sometime later on this/next year. But still.

Discuss.
some teachers can make really challenging questions (which are sometimes harder than most of 4u ones) with only 3u content

but HSC-wise, MX2 paper is always harder than that of MX1

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
True. I've done complex and graphs at school. Have had a fair look at a couple at some other topics too.
But i'm just talking generally, when you tell people you do 4U they're like "Holy crap!" ect. The hype is just insane.

Anyway subjective question is subjective either way.

bleakarcher

HSC
What 3U topics do you find hard to come to terms with anyway?

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
Part of it is me making silly errors. However, perms and combs can get confusing when you factor in many different instances. Also parametrics has some questions which are quite hard. Any topic can be hard it just depends on the questions they give you imo.

Btw you accelerating by yourself? Or tutor?

Alkanes

HSC
For 3U perms and combs are a pain in the backside for me. Looking forward to Binomials *sigh*

bleakarcher

HSC
I do it on my own. I only have perms and combs left, hopefully its not to much of a fuking dick.

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
Oi 1 bit of advice with perms and combs (not that you'll need it). Make sure you actually understand EXACTLY what you're doing WHEN you do it. If you have questions and don't have them answered you will get fked over. You need to know what you're doing.
(lol at me giving advice)

I didn't and just confused myself. Luckily i forgot everything and learnt it again. Then it wasn't so bad.

Alkanes

HSC
I do it on my own. I only have perms and combs left, hopefully its not to much of a fuking dick.
Sorry mate it's a dick. If your english is weak, it won't get you too far either lol

Last edited:

HSC
Uni Grad
me thinks the same too :p

anyway, 4U is pretty overrated, there's so many easy marks you can get. Ie. integration is so easy relative to others, and complex in Q2 is easy. Also, the topics aren't that difficult, provided that you actually study the stuff.

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Well this year's 4U paper was just the stock standard questions, nothing with a twist... Hasn't been like this since 1981 I think.

Anyway I think it has heaps to do with the way 4U is delivered. A good teacher for 4U is important.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Nay.
Lol what?
Do mx1 2010 and then mx2 now. Tell me which is harder? Mx1 is already a hard subject itself, so mx2, being harder must scale better and all that shit.
Also, the first few topics are easy as, you mightn't be singing the same tune at the end of the year.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
Sorry mate it's a dick. If your english is weak, it won't get you too far either lol
For some strange reason, perms and combs is one of my favourite topics, despite everyone I know hating it lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)