I was doing excel ext2 and there was a step that i don't really get:
P(x)= (x-2)(x-3)Q(x)+5x-6
then P(x) is divided by (x-2)(x-3) then remainder is 5x-6

how does that work please explain. Thanks

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
You haven't asked a specific question.

The form you have shown is the division identity statement.

In short,

So your remainder would be in this case,

darkphoenix

HSC
OH right, ok, I was thinking about the remainder theorem in the last step. Now is pretty easy Thx
Anyway, if you guys want practice this is the question:p(x) is divided by x-2 and x-3, the respective remainders are 4 and 9. Find the remainder when P(x) is divided by (x-2)(x-3).

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Also something to note, is that if we divide P(x) by a quadratic, the remainder (if there is one) can be expressed as a linear factor ax+b. However, this does NOT mean that it HAS to be linear. The remainder could just be a constant, or even 0.

Similarly, if I were to divide P(x) by a cubic, then my remainder can be expressed as ax^2 + bx + c. Just like the above, it doesn't HAVE to be a quadratic. It could be quadratic, linear, constant, or 0.

Following this trend, if I were to divide a polynomial by another polynomial of degree N, then the remainder can be expressed as another polynomial of degree N-1.

This is the reason why Spiral chucked a 'ax+b' as his remainder, in case you were wondering.

BTW obviously, this is assuming that the power of P(x) is greater than the power of the divisor.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)