Help with Polynomials (1 Viewer)

goobi

HSC
This question is from Ex. 3.2 of Terry Lee's textbook.

Factorise as real factors, given that it has a repeated zero.

The suggested solution is:

As f'''(x) has no real linear factors, we must find the multiple root from f''(x).

(^This is the part that I don't understand. When we factorise f'''(x), we get which are actually real and linear factors despite not being rational.)

Therefore, (x+1) is the triple root.

The solution is undoubtedly correct, but I still don't understand the bold part.
Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Last edited:

bleakarcher

HSC
It wants the polynomial factored over the rational field of numbers although it is not being clear.

goobi

HSC
It wants the polynomial factored over the rational field of numbers although it is not being clear.
Thanks but why do we assume that rational factors are only allowed when the question requires to get real factors (which include irrational ones)?

Last edited:

goobi

HSC
BTW in Ex 3.1 in the same textbook, questions 2 and 3 specifically ask for factorisations over the rational field, the real field and the complex field respectively. Therefore, as the question above actually requires factorisation over the real field, I reckon it is reasonable and logical to get rational and/or irrational factors.

Last edited:

bleakarcher

HSC
True, I agree. The question isn't being specific enough. You may as well have factored over the irrational field and gotten full marks in an exam if the exact question was to come up.

goobi

HSC
True, I agree. The question isn't being specific enough. You may as well have factored over the irrational field and gotten full marks in an exam if the exact question was to come up.
I am still not convinced though :( Terry Lee must have done it that way for some reason?

lolcakes52

HSC
Arguably it could be said that because of the surd part of the root, the root is non-linear as it has a part with a degree not equal to 1? I think the whole thing is just a misunderstanding of semantics.

goobi

HSC
Arguably it could be said that because of the surd part of the root, the root is non-linear as it has a part with a degree not equal to 1? I think the whole thing is just a misunderstanding of semantics.
IMO the adjective "linear" in this context is used to describe the noun "factor" but NOT the "root". Moreover, a linear factor is defined as being of the form (ax+b)... So, I wonder if I really misunderstand anything...

Last edited:

lolcakes52

HSC
IMO the adjective "linear" in this context is used to describe the noun "factor" but NOT the "root". Moreover, a linear factor is defined as being of the form (ax+b)... So, I wonder if I really misunderstand anything...
I know, I'm scraping the barrel for answers here. I think that it's probably just an error in the textbook and it doesn't matter as the answer is still the same.

goobi

HSC
I know, I'm scraping the barrel for answers here. I think that it's probably just an error in the textbook and it doesn't matter as the answer is still the same.
Thank you so much anyways :) Is it just me or did anyone interpret the question that way?

goobi

HSC
So what do you think the question should have been worded to avoid confusion?

bleakarcher

HSC
What I think is that what you did is fine and what Terry Lee did was fine to. It answers the question which asked to factorise the polynomial over the real field since the real field of numbers includes both rational and irrational numbers. Don't worry about it dude. Looks like you know the definition of a polynomial pretty well anyways.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
We cannot take the irrational solutions to be a multiple root.

For example,

IF

This will imply that the root has a multiplicity of 5.

Then your polynomial will end up being,

(If you expand it, then your polynomial is obviously not the one in your question.)

goobi

HSC
We cannot take the irrational solutions to be a multiple root.

For example,

IF

This will imply that the root has a multiplicity of 5.

Then your polynomial will end up being,

(If you expand it, then your polynomial is obviously not the one in your question.)
But I think what you said may only be true for this question as to the best of my knowledge there is no theorem to show that an irrational solution can/cannot be a multiple root. But then again, prove me wrong :p

Last edited:

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
To convince you more.

Suppose the solution above was a multiple root with multiplicity of 5.

Our polynomial was

By applying Descartes' Rule of Signs,

Let

4 sign changes. There can not be more than 4 negative real roots. We have just contradicted our statement. Therefore in this case, there cannot be irrational multiple roots here.

In the general case, I am sure you will never come across a question with an obscure "irrational multiple root". It would be likely that your coefficients of your polynomial will not be integer values.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Goobi, I can assure you that your exam will be much better worded. If for some freakish reason they copy pasted this question into your exam and you lost marks, just contest. You won't be the only one.

Though I do agree that T. Lee could have worded it more clearly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)