need some help with complex numbers :( ! (1 Viewer)

Validity

HSC
Could anyone help me with the following questions please :)

(Terry Lee 2.1 Q5)
Find the three cube roots of : (anyone know how to do this without demoivres theorem because the theorem isn't covered before this)
a) 1 b) -1

(Terry Lee 2.2 Q11)
Find square roots of:(i don't get what to do :()
a) 5+2i

(Terry Lee 2.2 Q13c)
Express the following in the form a+ib where a and b are real:

Random Question:
i don't get the arg thing when doing the mod-arg form, how do we know what value of 'k' to multiply when using:

THANK YOU EVERYONE THAT IS WILLING TO HELP! =)​

Last edited:

IamBread

HSC
2.1 Q5

2.2 Q11

And AAEldar covered the rest :D

Last edited:

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
2.1 Q5

and factorise. Likewise for b)

2.2 Q11

Use De Moivre's. The answer won't be pretty, but you have to make and convert to polar co-ordinates. Or what IamBread did... haha.

2.2 Q13c

Those should work.

Random Question

k should be an integer, i.e. 0, 1, 2, 3...

Last edited:

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
umm can you explain how taking the negative answer would make it unreal? is it ALWAYS the positive to make it real?
EDIT: Did not see the lack of plus/minus.

how do we know what integer though? like for 150 degrees they -1 pi and sometimes they would + 2pi for other things .
It depends on the question.

Last edited:

pokka

d'ohnuts
HSC
umm can you explain how taking the negative answer would make it unreal? is it ALWAYS the positive to make it real?

how do we know what integer though? like for 150 degrees they -1 pi and sometimes they would + 2pi for other things .
So to answer your first question, if you took the negative, a is unreal. Remember if "a" is real then a^2 is positive and real. Type into you calculator and you will find that the answer is negative so you HAVE to accept the positive answer for a^2.
I can't seem to see what you "random question" is so i can't answer you just yet but i'll get back to you on that...(or someone else will):p

IamBread

HSC
umm can you explain how taking the negative answer would make it unreal? is it ALWAYS the positive to make it real?.
a is a real number which means a^2 must be positive as if a^2 is negative then a would be nonreal

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)