Conics HSC question! (1 Viewer)

Aysce

HSC
photo.jpg

Sorry it's in a link, not sure how to post it up without one D:

The problem I am having with is Q.ii. I used the definition of the ellipse where the distance from the point P to a fixed point over the distance from point P to a fixed line has the ratio of e. Again I am probably wrong, since this is a 2 marker.

deswa1

HSC
I think you'll find that if T is on the directrix and the x axis, due to symmetry of the ellipse, the points P and Q both lie on the line x=ae (This is from memory so I might be wrong). Have a go using that fact :)

Aysce

HSC
I think you'll find that if T is on the directrix and the x axis, due to symmetry of the ellipse, the points P and Q both lie on the line x=ae (This is from memory so I might be wrong). Have a go using that fact :)
Yes I'm pretty sure T is the directrix too but then it would support the definition, hence the ratio would be e wouldn't it?

lolcakes52

HSC
Definition of an ellipse is a point thats distance from a line and a point are in a fixed ratio, e. So by definition PS/ST= e

deswa1

HSC
Definition of an ellipse is a point thats distance from a line and a point are in a fixed ratio, e. So by definition PS/ST= e
Yep. That's how you do it. First you have to establish that the point P is directly above the focus and then you can just use the focus directrix definition.

Aysce

HSC
So that's 2 marks right there? But then I tried to do part iii and I couldn't come up with many things + I failed miserably haha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)