Having Difficulty Answering These Questions- Can Someone Please Help Me? (1 Viewer)

181jsmith

HSC
See questions below, thanks

1. If a > o, b> 0 and c>0, show that

2. Show that, if has a root of multiplicity two, then

3. Show that

4. Find the roots of

5. In the diagram, the bisector of the meets RQ in S and the circum-circle of the triangle PQR in T.

Prove that

AB is the common chord of two circles C1 and C2. AC and AD are chords of the respective circles with
and CD meets the circles at P and Q respectively. R is the foot of the perpendicular from P to BQ. Prove that

q 5 and 6 diagrams : View attachment 24582View attachment 24581

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Geez you don't ask for much do you? =p

Don't think I'll be able to provide ALL solutions for you, but I'll provide a few quick points to get you started.

1. Look into the 'AM-GM Inequality'. Your expression is the equivalent for n=3.

2. Find the y-coordinates of the stationary points and let it be equal to zero (for the stationary points to be on opposite sides of the x axis). Then once you simplify that expression, you should get what you need. Except realise that equality occurs when it has a root of multiplicity. That expression there is also the 'discriminant' for cubics.

3. If I recall correctly, the Terry Lee book has the same (or similar) question. Might want to check it out.

4. By observing it the function, I can see that x=-1 is a solution. So I factor out (x+1) as a factor and this leaves me a cubic. It is clear that this cubic has a root x=2/3 so I factor out (3x-2), leaving a quadratic. Solve this quadratic to acquire the other 2 solutions.

181jsmith

HSC
thanks for your answer nightweaver- really appreciate it. do u mind telling me how u know how to test x=2/3? and how you get as a factor? - i'm just a bit lost.

181jsmith

HSC
thanks for ur answer carrotsticks- really appreciate it as well. Do you mind explaining more about the AM-GM Inequality you were
mention ing Q1?i'm just a bit confused. also, would u have any idea of which book some of the other questions are from? becos u said Q3 seemed to be from Terry Lee, thanks

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Q1 is in T.Lee too I think under "Harder 3U Inequalities"

Q2 is in T.Lee as well under "Polynomials"

The AM-GM inequality follows as such:

Question 1 is the same thing, but only going up to x_3.

And instead of x_1, x_2 etc etc, they used a, b ...

181jsmith

HSC
Q1 is in T.Lee too I think under "Harder 3U Inequalities"

Q2 is in T.Lee as well under "Polynomials"

The AM-GM inequality follows as such:

Question 1 is the same thing, but only going up to x_3.

And instead of x_1, x_2 etc etc, they used a, b ...
ah great, that's a big help,btw for q4- i get a quadratic of using the steps u provided me with, where would i go from there to get the roots? thanks heaps

dulip

HSC
quadratic formula or completing the square to find the other two roots

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)