help with grpahsssss: (1 Viewer)

zeebobDD

HSC
For question 2(A) i

When x>0 y=f(X)
When x<0 y=f(-x) thus original graph reflected about the y-axis
ii) Root fx, you only consider the two curved branches not the one in the middle, the root f(x) will just be beneath the original

iii) you reflect the result from (ii) about the x -axis

B)
i) i dont see how you have trouble with this?

rest is the same as question A, use the same methods

umm what

Banned
HSC
N/A
can u draw a rough sketch for me plzzz
For question 2(A) i

When x>0 y=f(X)
When x<0 y=f(-x) thus original graph reflected about the y-axis
ii) Root fx, you only consider the two curved branches not the one in the middle, the root f(x) will just be beneath the original

iii) you reflect the result from (ii) about the x -axis

B)
i) i dont see how you have trouble with this?

rest is the same as question A, use the same methods

barbernator

HSC
2 a) i) same as original graph
ii) take all positive values of y. when y>1, new curve will be below f(x). When y<1 new curve will be above f(x). When y=1 new curve will be equal to f(x).
iii) Same as ii) except also reflected about x axis
b) i) Reflect all negative y values about the x axis
ii) eliminate all negative x values. Reflect in the y axis
iii) eliminate negative y values. when y>1, new curve will be below f(x). When y<1 new curve will be above f(x). When y=1 new curve will be equal to f(x).

It is basically a methodical process where you just have to consider for each value what will happen. You try doing these graphs yourself, and then I will check them, you will learn more that way.

Last edited:

zeebobDD

HSC
heres root fx, for y squaredy=rootfx.png u basically rotate the coloured line about the x axis, the dotted line is the original graph

im drawing it on a laptop so yeh:L

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Red = Asymptotes

Orange = Original Graph

Blue = New graph

Green = The line y=1 (which is crucial when it comes to transformations from y ---> y^n for some real n.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
heres root fx, for y squaredView attachment 24627 u basically rotate the coloured line about the x axis, the dotted line is the original graph

im drawing it on a laptop so yeh:L
Remember that the sqrt(fx) graph shares a common point when y=1 (since square root of 1 is 1) and when y is between 0 and 1 (non inclusive), then the curve is actually higher. If I get 0.5 and I square root it, I get a larger number. Opposite when I go beyond y=1.

zeebobDD

HSC
Remember that the sqrt(fx) graph shares a common point when y=1 (since square root of 1 is 1) and when y is between 0 and 1 (non inclusive), then the curve is actually higher. If I get 0.5 and I square root it, I get a larger number. Opposite when I go beyond y=1.
yeh i thought so, i was doing it as i did for my test, since we have a y=1 asymptote

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)