Quick question (1 Viewer)

Aesytic

HSC
a polynomial P(x) has equation P(x) = ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d where a, b, c and d are real

I. the polynomial must cut the x-axis at least once
II. if P(alpha) = 0, then P(conj. alpha)=0

are both these statements correct?

lolcakes52

HSC
The first is definitely correct! From our examination of polynomials we know that the limit as x approaches positive or negative infinity is ax^3. So we have a change is sign from positive to negative and hence at least one real root! The second is also correct but its harder to explain why. But basically the polynomial can be written as P(x)=(x-(a+ib))Q(x) which only has real coefficients if (x-(a-ib)) is also a factor.

Aesytic

HSC
yeah, i thought both were correct too. but what if a,b and c were all 0? wouldn't that mean that the first statement wouldn't be correct?

lolcakes52

HSC
Do you mean a,b,c and d? If you didn't then no as the Polynomial is just P(x)=d which is has a y value of d no matter what the value of x is. However, for the case where all the coefficients are equal to zero, P(x) is the zero polynomial which technically cuts the x axis infinitely and for all values of x, complex or not, so both statements are true for the this case.

Aesytic

HSC
ok, so the first statement is correct unless the polynomial is P(x)=d where d isn't 0, and the second statement is correct no matter what?

lolcakes52

HSC
Both statements are correct if a,b,c and d are zero. Neither if a,b and c are but is not.

jyu

HSC
'I. the polynomial must cut the x-axis at least once' is correct if we consider x as real. So 'II. if P(alpha) = 0, then P(conj. alpha)=0' is not correct.
II is correct if we consider x as complex. So I is not correct.
.: the statements are mutually exclusive.

barbernator

HSC
'I. the polynomial must cut the x-axis at least once' is correct if we consider x as real. So 'II. if P(alpha) = 0, then P(conj. alpha)=0' is not correct.
II is correct if we consider x as complex. So I is not correct.
.: the statements are mutually exclusive.
wut? the statements are not mutually exclusive. by definition, a real number is also a complex number, so we are always considering x as complex

jyu

HSC
I am referring to the statements, not the numbers.

barbernator

HSC
I am referring to the statements, not the numbers.
i don't totally get you, but i guess if he rephrased as

I) the polynomial must have at least 1 real zero
II) the unreal factors occur in conjugate pairs

it would better suit

Aesytic

HSC
it was a question in my half-yearly
that was the information given, and it was a multiple choice question asking which of the statements were correct
A. I only
B. II only
C. Both
D. Neither

jet

Banned
HSC
II is true when the coefficients are real. Why? Let be a root.

If the coefficients weren't real, then and the proof would fail.

Aesytic

HSC
yeah, i understand why II is correct, but i wasn't exactly sure about I because although P(x) suggests that it's a cubic, if a was 0, then it wouldn't be so anymore, and if a, b and c were 0 then the polynomial wouldn't actually cut the x-axis provided d isn't 0

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)