Integration Question (1 Viewer)

imsleepyz

HSC
Please help me integrate using inverse trig

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

That should be all you need - and then you can go from there.

imsleepyz

HSC
Thank you but how do you integrate the first part of the equation with x as the numerator using inverse trig? :S

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Thank you but how do you integrate the first part of the equation with x as the numerator using inverse trig? :S
Sorry I made an error. I copied the second line to third line and forgot to remove 1/2

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
You don't. I am using

We can manipulate the integral to get it back to the form.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Should that really be assumed knowledge? Because I'm not familiar with it
It's not assumed, you should try it! There are some great manipulation exercises in Terry Lee. Alternatively you could always use substitution as Carrot said.

But this method should be quicker if you see it.

imsleepyz

HSC
Damn I didn't see Carrotsticks' post. Yeah I think I'm more comfortable with substitution method. Thank you SpiralFlex and everyone else who contributed. :)

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Personally, I try to avoid integration by substitution as much as possible, and I didn't use it for this question.

I just recognised that there was some form of the derivative in the actual expression, and integrated it directly (and fixed constants).

This is a more advanced technique that can't really be taught, but is 'realised' upon doing masses of integration by substitution questions.

Though it is essentially the same as substitution... you're just doing it mentally.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)