A difficult geometry question. (1 Viewer)

seanieg89

HSC
Prove that any triangle with two internal angle bisectors equal in length is isosceles.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
I think I'm missing something in the question because this seems too simple but here it is anyway:

The internal bisectors form an isosceles triangle where the base angles are equal. But since the base angles are bisected, the base angles of the whole triangle must also be equal, hence it's isosceles.

inb4completelywrong.

barbernator

HSC
I think I'm missing something in the question because this seems too simple but here it is anyway:

The internal bisectors form an isosceles triangle where the base angles are equal. But since the base angles are bisected, the base angles of the whole triangle must also be equal, hence it's isosceles.

inb4completelywrong.
inafter, where did you prove that the constructed triangle was isoceles? the two bisected angles cannot be assumed to be same, because that's what we are trying to prove. I also have no idea how to prove it though :) haha but still trying

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
inafter, where did you prove that the constructed triangle was isoceles? the two bisected angles cannot be assumed to be same, because that's what we are trying to prove. I also have no idea how to prove it though :) haha but still trying
I was going on the assumption that the bisectors were equal in length, so the triangle was isosceles, so the base angles are the same.

But now that I think about it, I think we have to prove that the bisectors bisect eachother lol.

barbernator

HSC
question to OP, is this possibly a proof by contradiction?

seanieg89

HSC
Yep, a clever proof by contradiction would be the nicest way of doing it. Alternatively, an ugly coordinate geometry approach will work.

Hint: Standard techniques involving congruence/similarity are surprisingly useless here...try playing with inequalities instead.

Last edited:

barbernator

HSC
Yep, a clever proof by contradiction would be the nicest way of doing it. Alternatively, an ugly coordinate geometry approach will work.

Hint: Standard techniques involving congruence/similarity are surprisingly useless here...try playing with inequalities instead.
haha i cracked and looked up the answer. It is quite a nifty proof :) but quite long considering how simple the question seems.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)