mechanics (1 Viewer)

barbernator

HSC
on a scale of 1 to mechanics, how much does physics help with mechanics?

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
Not a whole lot. Mechanics is a lot harder than anything you'll ever get in Physics, but it's also a lot more fun.

You will already know some things, but it won't be a huge advantage.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Not HSC Physics anyway...We are about to start Mechanics at school. From what I have heard it is overrated.

bleakarcher

HSC
You don't really have to have much of an understanding in physics at all. Know Newton's laws of motion, what things like net force and tension are and that is about all you need. Some relate it to uni physics. However, from what I have learnt, it doesn't go to the extent of understanding the situation conceptually as much it does in a physics course at uni.

karnbmx

HSC
Although I haven't started Mechanics yet, I would think that having a bit of Physics knowledge helps you understand what is happening in the given situation.

Because really, if you don't understand that, it's a lot harder to approach the given question.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
I did Extension 2 Mechanics equipped with NOTHING except all the Physics-ish stuff from Mathematics and Extension 1 Maths.

I still understood the concepts perfectly fine and I was still able to do the questions with no/few problems.

Also, Mechanics really isn't that difficult. The questions are essentially the same. I daresay that I found Complex Numbers to be more difficult than Mechanics.

MATHSCAPE

HSC
0. didn't do physics and still understood mechanics. quite liked it actually.

nucgaek

HSC
If you can do all the projectile motion questions and calculations, especially force diagrams in your head, it should help quite a bit. Maybe a 4 or so, it's not going to give you a massive advantage over someone who hasn't though (probably).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)