integration help (MX2) (1 Viewer)

deswa1

HSC
Yep, that's right. BTW, your writing is amazing :)

barbernator

HSC
for efficiency and simplicity, i would use ln(x) instead of loge(x), but each to their own :)

barbernator

HSC
change one of the cos^2 x to 1-sin^2x, and let u=sinx

barbernator

HSC
i did....dunno how to work it outt
u will have a simple substitution, du=cosxdx. which will leave the integral of u^3-u^5.

for your other integral, make sure you evaluate the unintegrated term from 0 to ln2 as well

umm what

Banned
HSC
N/A
210420121556.jpg right???
coz Wolfram gives a completely different answer in cos x
u will have a simple substitution, du=cosxdx. which will leave the integral of u^3-u^5.

for your other integral, make sure you evaluate the unintegrated term from 0 to ln2 as well

deswa1

HSC
Yeah, your answer is right. If you end up getting a different answer from wolfram, you can ask it to differenriate your answer and then if you get the original question, obviously you are right.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
You do indeed have very nice handwriting.

A tip:

Try to avoid the U substitution for simple questions like this. You could have actually done it all in one go (ie: From question to answer in 1 line) by recognising that you need to split it, then having a log and an inverse tan for the integral, then fixing up the constants (which is just half).

deswa1

HSC

A tip:

Try to avoid the U substitution for simple questions like this. You could have actually done it all in one go (ie: From question to answer in 1 line) by recognising that you need to split it, then having a log and an inverse tan for the integral, then fixing up the constants (which is just half).
About this, in a test, how many lines would you recommend doing it in. Do you think markers wouldn't like it in just one line or is that fine?

umm what

Banned
HSC
N/A
I used to do this way....but i saw they make a U substitution in past papers :p

A tip:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)