Terry Lee combinations question (1 Viewer)

porcupinetree

not actually a porcupine
HSC
Could somebody please point out the flaw in my method for this question from Terry Lee? If it's hard to understand from the picture, my idea was to choose 1 ball from each colour set (hence [11C1]^4), and choose 2 more from any of the remaining 40.

Last edited:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Could somebody please point out the flaw in my method for this question from Terry Lee? If it's hard to understand from the picture, my idea was to choose 1 ball from each colour set (hence [11C1]^4), and choose 2 more from any of the remaining 40.
Your way over-counts, because when you say you choose 1 ball from each set, then choose 2 more randomly, the 2 you choose randomly may be ones that in another case you counted as choosing as "1" from a set.

E.g. Say ball X is the orange ball #2. In your method, you count the following as different, when they should be considered the same:

• Pick X as the "1" to be orange, then pick 2 randomly after picking "1" for each other colour, and say one of these two picked is Ball Y, which is a different orange ball (say #6).

• Pick ball Y as the "1" to be orange, and pick X as one of the 2 randomly picked, with the other balls picked the same as the previous dot point.

porcupinetree

not actually a porcupine
HSC
Your way over-counts, because when you say you choose 1 ball from each set, then choose 2 more randomly, the 2 you choose randomly may be ones that in another case you counted as choosing as "1" from a set.

E.g. Say ball X is the orange ball #2. In your method, you count the following as different, when they should be considered the same:

• Pick X as the "1" to be orange, then pick 2 randomly after picking "1" for each other colour, and say one of these two picked is Ball Y, which is a different orange ball (say #6).

• Pick ball Y as the "1" to be orange, and pick X as one of the 2 randomly picked, with the other balls picked the same as the previous dot point.
Ah, thankyou so much, I see now. One final question: what is the reason for the 2C1 in Terry's solution? I understand all of his other working but I don't see what the 2C1 is there for

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)