Harder HSC Papers for MX2 (1 Viewer)

Axio

=o
HSC
Hi,

I was wondering which HSC years have had the more challenging exams, as I'd like to have a go at them at some stage. I only really know that 2003 was supposed to be very difficult. (If you'd like to say which years have had easier and moderate papers, that would be great as well.)

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Re: Harder HSC Papers

Hi,

I was wondering which HSC years have had the more challenging exams, as I'd like to have a go at them at some stage. I only really know that 2003 was supposed to be very difficult. (If you'd like to say which years have had easier and moderate papers, that would be great as well.)
Try ones from the last century.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

... I'd probably like to focus on 90s-10s unless there is any particular paper you had in mind...
Ones from 1990's should be good then (and that is the last century haha).

braintic

HSC
N/A

2000 was notoriously difficult. It suddenly switched from very doable do very difficult about half way through, so didn't discriminate well between students of different abilities.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A

If you want a particularly difficult question, you may like 1989 Question 8.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC

If you want a particularly difficult question, you may like 1989 Question 8.
As extra motivation, no one got that question out in the exam at the time.

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad

Hi,

for easy papers I think 2013-2014 are fairly easy
is 2005 and 2012 hard?

shervos

HSC

How does question 8b) from the 2000 paper even make sense? Like how does P(1,0)=0? Why is it impossible for one to toss a fair coin and get a head followed by a tail?

glittergal96

HSC

How does question 8b) from the 2000 paper even make sense? Like how does P(1,0)=0? Why is it impossible for one to toss a fair coin and get a head followed by a tail?
P(1,0) is the probability of throwing one head before throwing zero tails. But you have thrown zero tails to start with, without throwing any heads. So this event can never occur.

glittergal96

HSC

Another way of thinking about it:

Each possible string "HTTHHTTHT..." can be given two running counts of the heads and tails in the first n letters.

Eg for the above example these counts are:

P(m,n) is the probability that the first counter is at least m when the second counter is first equal to n.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

Another way of thinking about it:

Each possible string "HTTHHTTHT..." can be given two running counts of the heads and tails in the first n letters.

Eg for the above example these counts are:

P(m,n) is the probability that the first counter is at least m when the second counter is first equal to n.
How do you know it means 'at least' m? Is this due to what they want shown in the Q's? I haven't had a go at them due to not being entirely sure what the Q meant. But it's saying 'a total of' r heads. I guess that confused me.

glittergal96

HSC

How do you know it means 'at least' m? Is this due to what they want shown in the Q's? I haven't had a go at them due to not being entirely sure what the Q meant. But it's saying 'a total of' r heads. I guess that confused me.
Sorry, yep it should be "exactly".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)