Hours spent studying Maths Extension 2 (1 Viewer)

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
Ideally, how many hours a year should a student put inside and outside for Maths Extension 2 in a year? What would be a rough estimate in terms of the workload of study. I asked this same question in the MX1 thread and yes I know its a very subjective question. I am very conscious of my time and I do apply myself in the time I spent.

Again I will put a ball park figure up front. I suggest around 200 hours (140 hours of lectures, reading the theories, doing exercises from text) and 60 hours doing exam papers, HSC papers etc.

I don't know how the HSC curriculum works but I have heard of students doing 2/3 Unit Year 11 and then concentrating on 3/4 Unit in Year 12.

calamebe

HSC
I don't know how the HSC curriculum works but I have heard of students doing 2/3 Unit Year 11 and then concentrating on 3/4 Unit in Year 12.
That's because if you do 4U in year 12 then 2U does not go on your ATAR, rather Ext 1 counts for 2 units and Ext 2 counts for 2 units.

braintic

HSC
N/A
Ideally, how many hours a year should a student put inside and outside for Maths Extension 2 in a year? What would be a rough estimate in terms of the workload of study. I asked this same question in the MX1 thread and yes I know its a very subjective question. I am very conscious of my time and I do apply myself in the time I spent.

Again I will put a ball park figure up front. I suggest around 200 hours (140 hours of lectures, reading the theories, doing exercises from text) and 60 hours doing exam papers, HSC papers etc.

The top students would spend a lot more time than that on Ext 2, especially since you are counting lesson time.
After at least 75 hours of lessons, that leaves only about 20 minutes of work per day over the course of the year.

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
The top students would spend a lot more time than that on Ext 2, especially since you are counting lesson time.
After at least 75 hours of lessons, that leaves only about 20 minutes of work per day over the course of the year.
Maybe 250 hours a year then?
5 hours a week x 30 weeks a year =150 hours

50 hours with revision courses, tutoring

50 hours working through exam papers, tests, HSC papers

?

Does that sound about right?

braintic

HSC
N/A
Maybe 250 hours a year then?
5 hours a week x 30 weeks a year =150 hours

50 hours with revision courses, tutoring

50 hours working through exam papers, tests, HSC papers

?

Does that sound about right?
It depends what you are aiming for, and what your natural ability is.
Some have a real gift for the subject and can get a great result with minimal effort.
I would say that someone who DOESN'T get a band 10 (the top band) in year 9 Naplan would probably need double that to get an E4.

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
It depends what you are aiming for, and what your natural ability is.
Some have a real gift for the subject and can get a great result with minimal effort.
I would say that someone who DOESN'T get a band 10 (the top band) in year 9 Naplan would probably need double that to get an E4.
I will test myself out with a Year 9 NAPLAN test then to confirm what my level is.

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
Starting to think along the lines of 300 hours of study in a year will be enough to conquer this unit. Sounds about right?

200 hours worth of lectures, reading through theory

40 hours doing exercises

60 hours doing sample papers, going through study guides

braintic

HSC
N/A
I will test myself out with a Year 9 NAPLAN test then to confirm what my level is.
Students in year 12 will be able to do much better in a year 9 Naplan that when they were in year 9.
Doing the test in year 12 is not a good indicator.

braintic

HSC
N/A
Besides the people who smashed me in naplan are now in general... and i didnt even get band 6 in the NAPLAN.
And ... how much work do think think you will have spent in total on Ext 2 only by the time it is all over?

Drsoccerball

HSC
And ... how much work do think think you will have spent in total on Ext 2 only by the time it is all over?
Theres many days were i just went pure extension 2 especially with integration :L And those days consisted of over 8 hours :D (some days back in the day )

braintic

HSC
N/A
Theres many days were i just went pure extension 2 especially with integration :L And those days consisted of over 8 hours :D (some days back in the day )
So would you be able to come up with an estimate for the total?

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
when I was in year 12, I spent about a few hours a week doing study and homework and a bit more during exam times

Ekman

HSC
I do about 1-2 hours a day (not including the time spent in extension 2 class). However, for the past couple of months, I slowly stopped doing as much maths as I used to, and started focusing on other subjects.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)