Probability problem (1 Viewer)

kernmantrix01

HSC
N/A
3 points are selected at random and it is divided by 8 octants.what is the probability that atleast 2points lie in the same octant?
Can you pls show the solution for this?

Sent from my SM-G355H using Tapatalk

braintic

HSC
N/A
3 points are selected at random and it is divided by 8 octants.what is the probability that atleast 2points lie in the same octant?
Can you pls show the solution for this?

Do you really expect everyone to drop everything and get online within half an hour just to answer your question?

Further, your question makes no sense. What is "it"? "It" is divided "by??" 8 octants means nothing if you don't say what "it" is.

Drsoccerball

HSC
Do you really expect everyone to drop everything and get online within half an hour just to answer your question?

Further, your question makes no sense. What is "it"? "It" is divided "by??" 8 octants means nothing if you don't say what "it" is.
Ikr... i was just like wth is an octant

kernmantrix01

HSC
N/A
Oh!!! The God of Grammar. SORRY. I just copied the problem. My fault? Haha

braintic

HSC
N/A
Ikr... i was just like wth is an octant
Just like a 2D number plane is divided into 4 quadrants, a 3D number plane is divided into 8 octants.
So I don't know if he is talking 2D or 3D. And if it's 2D, I don't know exactly what he means by octants - does he mean that there are four concurrent lines in the number plane, spaced at 45 degree angles?

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Actually re-read the original problem, and it's not really like the one I linked, I misread and thought the points were on a circle in the original question.

But if we take the probability of a random point being selected in a given octant as 1/8, shouldn't the problem be easy?

I.e. 1 minus the probability that the chosen points are all in different octants, namely .

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)