CSSA 2015 Trial (1 Viewer)

shaniqua1

HSC
I got 86/100 in the CSSA under exam conditions.
What was the expected cutoff for E4, and can someone estimate my raw mark for HSC MX2 if I got 86/100 in the CSSA one?

Thanks,
Shaniqua

leehuan

HSC
How? We haven't seen the 2015 HSC paper yet. And the 2001-2014 papers all vary in difficulty.

shaniqua1

HSC
Thanks.
But I don't think they list CSSA 2015 trial marks? I wanted to see people's opinions on what they think would equate to my mark in the CSSA trial. I'm not sure its difficulty, relative to the HSC.

shaniqua1

HSC
How? We haven't seen the 2015 HSC paper yet. And the 2001-2014 papers all vary in difficulty.
I'm sure people don't see the current year's HSC papers either, when estimating someone's "band" in a subject, given marks and ranks, but it's still done.

SNT k

HSC
could you please send the CSSA paper please would like to see it as well :spin:

shaniqua1

HSC
I didn't get it back from the school. Plus, we wouldn't be allowed to upload it anyway.

leehuan

HSC
Estimating a band is easier than estimating a mark because that allows an inaccuracy range of 10 marks.

Teachers do a better job at this than students because they can compare individual capabilities to the difficulty of the paper. That is, the mark.
Except, bear in mind estimates are just estimates. Some students pull off a surprise either good or bad.

Logically speaking however? Looking back at that paper 86 is an E4. My cohort had a range of marks from 76-91 and apparently all of us could still get an E4 in the HSC. I can't give it a raw mark though.

braintic

HSC
N/A
I'm sure people don't see the current year's HSC papers either, when estimating someone's "band" in a subject, given marks and ranks, but it's still done.
That's somewhat different. At a reasonably high ranking school, roughly the same number of people each year would be expected to get an E4.

It would be much easier for someone to give you an estimate if you gave your school and your rank in that exam. (Provided there are a reasonable number doing Ext 2 in your cohort)

shaniqua1

HSC
Estimating a band is easier than estimating a mark because that allows an inaccuracy range of 10 marks.

Teachers do a better job at this than students because they can compare individual capabilities to the difficulty of the paper. That is, the mark.
Except, bear in mind estimates are just estimates. Some students pull off a surprise either good or bad.

Logically speaking however? Looking back at that paper 86 is an E4. My cohort had a range of marks from 76-91 and apparently all of us could still get an E4 in the HSC. I can't give it a raw mark though.
Thank you.

SNT k

HSC
Hey you know whether the Bored of studies trial papers are in similar difficulty of that in the real hsc?

shaniqua1

HSC
That's somewhat different. At a reasonably high ranking school, roughly the same number of people each year would be expected to get an E4.

It would be much easier for someone to give you an estimate if you gave your school and your rank in that exam. (Provided there are a reasonable number doing Ext 2 in your cohort)
There are 12 people doing Ext 2 in my school, at a ranking of ~400. I got the highest, with second getting 85. No-one last year got E4.

sida1049

HSC
I go to a school ranked in the 90s. Our Extension 2 trial was a modified CSSA trial with about a third of the questions from the Independent trial. Honestly, I think the CSSA trial was quite easy. There was nothing beyond what you would expect, and even Question 16 was rather underwhelming, which is why we switched most of the questions from CSSA towards with end with questions from the Independent trial, which was supremely more difficult. We had cluster of people in the 70s and 60s, which was because we all excelled in the CSSA questions, but were annihilated by the harder Independent questions (nobody solved the final question in the time given, and hence the highest mark was 89, followed by 86, then 81). Compare your performance in the CSSA trial and a past HSC paper, and you'll find that the disparity in difficulty between the HSC and the CSSA this year is massive.

By my judgment, I'd say the cutoff for E4 would be at least 85% in the CSSA trial, and 90% if you want to be safe (which isn't too difficult in this year's CSSA paper).

Edit: E4 would be at least 85%, and 90% to be safe. I changed the minimum from 80% to 85% after your information.

Last edited:

braintic

HSC
N/A
There are 12 people doing Ext 2 in my school, at a ranking of ~400. I got the highest, with second getting 85. No-one last year got E4.
In that case, there is not enough to go on by ranks alone. I would only feel comfortable estimating for a school that typically gets at least a dozen E4s every year.

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A

Are you a teacher at a high school?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)