Complex Conjugates Question (1 Viewer)

Ambility

HSC
Question 5a and 5b from 2.1 in the Cambridge 4 Unit Maths textbook:

I remember hearing that the roots to a quadratic are complex conjugates of each other, but I don't know how I'd prove this. Could someone point me in the right direction?

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A

I remember hearing that the roots to a quadratic are complex conjugates of each other, but I don't know how I'd prove this. Could someone point me in the right direction?
Start with the given expression and conjugate both sides. From there, use your conjugate rules to slowly 'spread' the conjugate symbol across all terms to obtain the required result.

Drsoccerball

HSC

Ambility

HSC
Start with the given expression and conjugate both sides. From there, use your conjugate rules to slowly 'spread' the conjugate symbol across all terms to obtain the required result.
Oh right, and I guess the complex conjugate of 0 is just 0?

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
He is trying to prove the conjugate root theorem for polynomials of degree 2. Stating the theorem to prove it is a bit redundant. Your response would be more appropriate for a question styled as "Explain why ....", not "Show that ..."

Oh right, and I guess the complex conjugate of 0 is just 0?
Yes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)