Complex number help! (1 Viewer)

Glyde

HSC
Express z1+z2 in mod-art form if z1=1+(Squareroot3)i and z2=(Squareroot3)+i This is probably really basic but I just started complex numbers this week

leehuan

HSC
z1 + z2 = 1+sqrt3*i + sqrt3+i

= (1+sqrt3) + (1+sqrt3)i

You then find the modulus to be sqrt2 * (1+sqrt3) and argument to be pi/4

So it's (1+sqrt3)sqrt2cis(pi/4)

Last edited:

Ambility

HSC
Hey! I just started complex numbers this week as well! I might be wrong, but I'll give it a try.

Last edited:

Glyde

HSC
Now I have to divide (z1+z2) by (z1-z2) I think it would be easier to complete this question using the more simplified mod-arg

kawaiipotato

HSC
Now I have to divide (z1+z2) by (z1-z2) I think it would be easier to complete this question using the more simplified mod-arg
You should find the simplified expression for both z1+z1 and z1-z2, then multiply both numerator and denominator by the conjugate of the denominator.

Glyde

HSC
You should find the simplified expression for both z1+z1 and z1-z2, then multiply both numerator and denominator by the conjugate of the denominator.
No wouldnt I just divide the modulis and take away the arguement in the denominator from the argument in the numerator
We learnt that shortcut today

Last edited:

kawaiipotato

HSC
No wouldnt I just divide the modulis and take away the arguement in the denominator from the argument in the numerator
We learnt that shortcut today
Yes, you could do it that way if you were using polar form ( rcis(theta)). Preferably, I would just do what mentioned, because z1-z2 and z1+z2 have 'weird' real and imaginary parts, that probably wouldn't give a 'neat' value for their respective arguments when taking the inverse tan. (I haven't tried yet so their arguments might be simple)

edit: ah nvm I just looked at the above posts and the argument for z1+z2 is just pi/4 so z1-z2 would also be similar. Yeah, your way would be quicker

Last edited:

Glyde

HSC
Yes, you could do it that way if you were using polar form ( rcis(theta)). Preferably, I would just do what mentioned, because z1-z2 and z1+z2 have 'weird' real and imaginary parts, that probably wouldn't give a 'neat' value for their respective arguments when taking the inverse tan. (I haven't tried yet so their arguments might be simple)

edit: ah nvm I just looked at the above posts and the argument for z1+z2 is just pi/4 so z1-z2 would also be similar. Yeah, your way would be quicker
I just tried to do z1-z2 however the argument was 3pi/4 why is it this when I calculated the tan inverse to be -45!!! Shouldn't the answers argument be -pi/4!!!!????

kawaiipotato

HSC
I just tried to do z1-z2 however the argument was 3pi/4 why is it this when I calculated the tan inverse to be -45!!! Shouldn't the answers argument be -pi/4!!!!????
The argument is 3pi/4.
Draw up the complex number z1-z2 on an argand diagram and label it z1-z2. You'll notice that it lies in the second quadrant. So the argument of it should be pi/2 (since coordinate axes are equal) + angle between the vector z1-z2 and the y axis which is arctan((sqrt3 - 1)(sqrt3 - 1)) = arctan(1)= pi/4. (I know the it the numerator should be negative but I'm considering only the lengths (positive value))
= pi/2 + pi/4 = 3pi/4

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)