Perms and Combs Word (1 Viewer)

Ambility

HSC
I don't know how I would approach this question:

All the letters of the word ENCUMBERANCE are arranged in a line. Find the total number of arrangements, which contain all the vowels in alphabetical order but separated by at least one consonant.

Zlatman

HSC
I don't know how I would approach this question:

All the letters of the word ENCUMBERANCE are arranged in a line. Find the total number of arrangements, which contain all the vowels in alphabetical order but separated by at least one consonant.
The vowels will be in the order: A E E E U

Now, first, we arrange the 7 consonants: 7!/2!2! (7 consonants being arranged, N and C are repeated twice)

Between each consonant, and before and after the consonants, we will have 8 slots we can place the vowels into (this is called the insertion method).

_ C _ C _ C _ C _ C _ C _ C _

(where C is a consonant)

In these 8 slots, we need to put in the five vowels, in the order A E E E U, and 3 blank spaces.

[We can do this through the stars and bars method, where we have 5 stars (A E E E U) and 3 bars, for example:

which is the same thing as:
A _ E E _ _ E U

or

which is the same as:
_ A _ E E E _ U

The number of arrangements for this is 8!/3!5!]

Alternatively, we are simply choosing 3 slots to be blank, so arrangements = 8C3.

Multiplying the number of arrangements for the consonants and the vowels gives us:

(7!/2!2!) * (8!/3!5!) = 70560

(I hope this is right)

Last edited:

Zlatman

HSC
Just one thing i'm unsure about, wouldn't it be 8C5/3! ?
I think it's just 8C5, which is (8!/5!3!), because there's 8 spots, and you're choosing 5 to put the stars (vowels) into.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)