Do I need a calculator? (1 Viewer)

jonathan_lam

HSC
So the exam is tomorrow but I can't afford a calculator. Do I really need one? Most of the mathematics in the course does not require a calculator as they are proof based/involve pronumerals rather than actual numbers. For example, graphing would not require much use of a calculator, and conics involves dealing with equations of curves, so I wouldn't need a calculator to work out gradients or points of intersections of lines. It's just algebraic work. Plane geometry also does not require a calculator. Many other topics also do not require a calculator.

I did some exam (half yearly I think) and there was a question requiring us to work out an approximation for an area using simpson's rule... and I didn't have a calculator so ...

Last edited:

Swaan

Stupid Fat Hobbit
HSC
u should be able to borrow one from ur school. ask the maths department in the morning

laters

HSC
N/A
I did some exam (half yearly I think) and there was a question requiring us to work out an approximation for an area using simpson's rule... and I didn't have a calculator so ...
I think you answered this for yourself lol

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
Just ask a student/someone you know who is in Year 8,9 or 10 to lend you one, or go to the maths staffroom and ask for one, if they refuse (which would be a shame if they do), go to the science staffroom. Out of all these avenues (If you try all of them), you should end up with a calculator.

2 years ago the maths staffroom at my school refused to lend a calculator to a student who forgot to bring one to her HSC exam. That student was also forbidden from asking anyone in the school for a calculator.

Silly Sausage

HSC
Just ask a student/someone you know who is in Year 8,9 or 10 to lend you one, or go to the maths staffroom and ask for one, if they refuse (which would be a shame if they do), go to the science staffroom. Out of all these avenues (If you try all of them), you should end up with a calculator.

2 years ago the maths staffroom at my school refused to lend a calculator to a student who forgot to bring one to her HSC exam. That student was also forbidden from asking anyone in the school for a calculator.

That's stupid because it serves as a detriment to the cohorts overall performance.

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
[/B]

That's stupid because it serves as a detriment to the cohorts overall performance.
I agree man, even if you put aside the fact that we've always had a miserable cohort, the teacher's in that staffroom should have been disgusted of themselves for not lending a calculator to that student after 13 years of learning maths from basic primary school to 2U Advanced work- to the day of her exam. Even if she had a calculator, the small cohort would have performed poorly anyway (they didn't even tell us the average or top HSC mark because it was bad)... :/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)