how much of complex numbers is in 4u hsc (1 Viewer)

medicinestudent

HSC
i find complex numbers rather head spinning as it's very different to the real numbers system used in 2u and 3u (obvs lol me) so i'm hoping there's not THAT many questions in the hsc (this may be wishful thinking).

also is it really the easiest topic in 4u? tbh it seems like other topics like polynomials will be easier or is 4u really a maple branch on a rose bush?

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
i find complex numbers rather head spinning as it's very different to the real numbers system used in 2u and 3u (obvs lol me) so i'm hoping there's not THAT many questions in the hsc (this may be wishful thinking).

also is it really the easiest topic in 4u? tbh it seems like other topics like polynomials will be easier or is 4u really a maple branch on a rose bush?
Complex numbers in HSC 4U generally isn't too hard once you get used to them (obviously there exist hard questions in every topic, but the average Q. isn't too hard). And there's complex numbers appears in HSC 4U as part of Complex Numbers, and also in Polynomials.

Zen2613

HSC
N/A

It depends what kind of questions you are attempting. Questions like convert 1-i into polar form are pretty much as basic as 4 unit gets. Tat being said question 16 in this years paper was a much harder complex number question involving the binomial theorem and polynomials. Its probably the most wide ranging topic in terms of difficulty imo. But its as the guy above me said, you just gotta get used to it. In fact this applies to the entire 4 unit course. I remember when we first started doing conics and we thought it was impossibly hard. But when the standards are high like that, it pushes you to conquer that 'new level of thinking' and afterwards it seems so simple. So yeah, you've only just started, give yourself a chance to get into that higher thinking mode before you just decide its too hard. Be mindful it doesn't come for everyone. I'd say probably the end of term 2 is a good time to decide whether 4 unit is too much for you. Even if it is from the start, it does wonders to your extension 1 marks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)