Converting Degrees to Radians in Rad mode on the fx-100AU? (1 Viewer)

ProdigyInspired

Tafe Advocate
HSC
I recently purchased the fx-100AU for its imaginary functions, but also as a main calculator since my fx-82ES is starting to die.

When I'm converting Radians to Degrees in Deg Mode, it works fine [ pi (SHIFT->ANS->r)] makes 180 etc etc.

However the opposite doesn't work as well - converting Degrees to Radians in Rad Mode. I put [180 (SHIFT->ANS->o)], and it gives me pi, as expected, but in the numeral form (3.14~~). In my fx-82ES, which I'm unsure of since it does convert trigonometric values automatically into fractions, I did the same thing and it gives me pi in the symbol form. A better example is for 270 degrees. [270 (SHIFT->ANS->o)] on my fx-82ES gives me 3/2 pi, whereas my fx-100AU gives me 4.7 instead of pi.

Is anyone else having this issue or is it intentional that you're not meant to be able to convert degrees into radians? Found this when I was trying to find arg of complex numbers.

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
It gives you the decimal.
180 is 1 pi or 3.14... (the 1 doesn't show on the fx82)
270 degrees is 3/2 pi or 4.71... (these are the same)

So I don't see the issue, one just converts it to decimal.
Divide by pi if a decimal and it will give you the fraction you are looking for.
Your old calculator computed it then, dividing it by pi; adding a pi symbol at the end to multiply it back.

Last edited:

leehuan

HSC
I was immediately suspicious of why you had a calculator that could give multiples of pi. So I checked the board of studies - approved calculators list and found out that in fact, the CASIO fx-82ES is not an approved calculator. You could never use this calculator in the HSC examination anyway, although teachers hardly ever check their students' calculators.

With your new calculator, 4.7 is just 3pi/2 as a decimal (as mentioned above). So if you want to make the 3/2 appear, just divide by pi. However, personally, I think an Ext 2 student should be able to work out exact ratios and ASTC in their head.

ProdigyInspired

Tafe Advocate
HSC
I was immediately suspicious of why you had a calculator that could give multiples of pi. So I checked the board of studies - approved calculators list and found out that in fact, the CASIO fx-82ES is not an approved calculator. You could never use this calculator in the HSC examination anyway, although teachers hardly ever check their students' calculators.

With your new calculator, 4.7 is just 3pi/2 as a decimal (as mentioned above). So if you want to make the 3/2 appear, just divide by pi. However, personally, I think an Ext 2 student should be able to work out exact ratios and ASTC in their head.
Thanks. We only recently started using radians so we're not familiar, however I do know exact ratios. It's the irregular angles that I am using this for.

The examples I used in the post are, after all, examples.

As for the calculator, I'll find a way :p. If not I'll just bring two anyway.

D94

HSC
N/A
Thanks. We only recently started using radians so we're not familiar, however I do know exact ratios. It's the irregular angles that I am using this for.

The examples I used in the post are, after all, examples.

As for the calculator, I'll find a way :p. If not I'll just bring two anyway.
Sure, and if you get caught using a non-approved calculator, you could get 0. Is something as trivial as radians worth the risk?

ProdigyInspired

Tafe Advocate
HSC
Sure, and if you get caught using a non-approved calculator, you could get 0. Is something as trivial as radians worth the risk?
It's not like its a necessity. If I even have one worry that the school will check then I simply won't use the calculator. The ES still has other functions other than radians that the 100AU doesn't have, e.g. modifying the base of logarithms, shows exact values instead of decimals - all things that can save me time. The perk of having something like this in an Exam will be nice is all I'm saying.

Thanks guys for the help though. Hoping 4U will be fun.

leehuan

HSC
It's not like its a necessity. If I even have one worry that the school will check then I simply won't use the calculator. The ES still has other functions other than radians that the 100AU doesn't have, e.g. modifying the base of logarithms, shows exact values instead of decimals - all things that can save me time. The perk of having something like this in an Exam will be nice is all I'm saying.

Thanks guys for the help though. Hoping 4U will be fun.
Sorry man, but the board actually only approves of calculators that does not do this. Otherwise I would've brought my definite integral calculator into the exam.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)