Extension 2 Reference Sheet (1 Viewer)

_luke_

HSC
Hi all,

After looking through the 2016 formula sheet that got released by BOSTES earlier in the week, I found there was no formulas listed exclusively for Extension 2.

So just curious, is the formula sheet (for math extension 2 students) merely there to provide support with memorisation of Harder 1 Unit Questions?

I was hoping that there'd by formulae for memorisation of formula regarding 4 unit topics such as conics, mechanics, etc.

Thanks in advance.

leehuan

HSC
Hi all,

After looking through the 2016 formula sheet that got released by BOSTES earlier in the week, I found there was no formulas listed exclusively for Extension 2.

So just curious, is the formula sheet (for math extension 2 students) merely there to provide support with memorisation of Harder 1 Unit Questions?

I was hoping that there'd by formulae for memorisation of formula regarding 4 unit topics such as conics, mechanics, etc.

Thanks in advance.
Short answer: There isn't one.

Here's some things you do want to remember, however:
Mechanics
Circular motion
v=rω
a=rω^2=v^2/r
F=mv^2/r=mrω^2

Conics
Parametric coordinates
Ellipse (acos(theta),bsin(theta))
Hyperbola (asec(theta),b(tan(theta))

Last edited:

_luke_

HSC
So the new formula sheet is pretty much only there to assist with 2 and 3 unit mathematics?

leehuan

HSC
So the new formula sheet is pretty much only there to assist with 2 and 3 unit mathematics?
You could use the binomial theorem formula and the t-formula in 4U if you ask me.

Even compound angles sometimes.

porcupinetree

not actually a porcupine
HSC
Hi all,

Thanks in advance.
I would have found it a little odd if the BOSTES had included any Extension 2 formulae - especially as they plan to dramatically revise the content of the course in the coming years. In addition, there are barely any formulae which would be included in something like this - for example, traditionally, conics formulae are either given in the question or are derived during the question, as is often the case for other formulae in topics such as mechanics.

Also, harder 3U questions in HSC exams (apart from circle geometry) are almost all quite unique and abstract, in that they require the student to provide an extra level of insight and thinking, further than just memorising formulae or techniques from the 3U course.

However, the formula sheet does indeed contain some useful formulae (e.g. general solutions of trig equations, t-formulae, and the angle sum identities) which often turn up in Ext 2 questions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)