4 Unit (1 Viewer)

ll123ll45l67ll

Do you all think 4 unit is hard? I'm in year 11 and in term 4 i just started year 12. I currently do 4 unit but when does it start to get troubling?:chainsaw:

marsesbars

When does it start to get troubling?
...when you have exams :cool:

Everyone has their own problem topics, and it changes from person to person. Hardness is a relative thing. And maybe, some parts of the topic you might feel are easy while other parts of it are hard. *shrug* But having said that, the questions that most people find hard are those where you need to combine ideas from different topics to solve them. See past HSC exam question 8's for examples :)

My advice: If you don't understand a topic, ask for help!!!

It sounds so simple, but I know lots of people who don't ask questions because it would make them look "dumb". Well, I'd rather ask questions and risk looking dumb, than get shit marks :)

marsesbars

I've thought about it a bit more. Four unit maths gets hard if you:

1) Don't understand the ideas, or
2) forget the ideas, or
3) haven't practiced (do lots of different types of problems... especially hard ones), or
4) have problems with skills:
a. Algebra (can you say 'silly mistakes'?)
b. Geometry (remember all those theorems)
c. forget 2U or 3U work. They ask bitches of questions on these :)

I guess if you want to master 4U (it's possible), then try understand the theory, ask for help when you need it and practice a lot.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by ll123ll45l67ll
Do you all think 4 unit is hard? I'm in year 11 and in term 4 i just started year 12. I currently do 4 unit but when does it start to get troubling?:chainsaw:
If you arn't getting troubled yet then that is a good sign. Conics will trouble you, so will Motion ...

spice girl

magic mirror
Get taught properly on motion (especially on drawing forces), otherwise you'll be very lost.

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
generally sayn...the questions begin to become troubling when you start having difficulties doing them.
But i dunno, that's juz for me.

spice girl

magic mirror
but i reckon there're heaps of little tricks you never get taught from normal 4u teachers, but they really help in doing the harder problems. that's wot I've found anyways...

dun have any of these on my mind atm, so dun ask yet...

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by spice girl
but i reckon there're heaps of little tricks you never get taught from normal 4u teachers, but they really help in doing the harder problems. that's wot I've found anyways...

dun have any of these on my mind atm, so dun ask yet...
Here's one really "obvious" trick:

When graphing a function divided by another function, graph the multiple of the inverse instead.

IE: instead of f(x)/g(x) graph f(x) * 1 /g(x)

This can be MUCH easier in some instances ...

wogboy

Terminator
HSC
Lots of people say that mechanics is the hardest, but if you follow all the rules and do PLENTY of practise on them, it's not THAT terrible. (maybe it was because I had a physics teacher teach us maths that I didn't find mechanics that hard).

What I personally found the hardest is Harder 3U and the stuff that doesn't really fall into a category (see Q8 in exams!). I didn't like the inductions, some of the inequalities. As for circle geometry, I totally hated that. I also found conics quite hard becuase it required too much complicated algebra (the concepts of it were quite easy though).

The rest of wasn't that hard actually (volumes, integration, polynomials) and I thought complex no's and graphs were pretty straightforward. All in all, if you study what you learn, do PLENTY of examples from exams & textbooks, and ask if you have problems, you'll be fine.

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
there's different kinds of 'trouble'. The good kind is the challenge you get from being able to figure out difficult problems. The bad is the sinking feeling your get when you do an exam and there's too little time and too many questions.

Both are inevitable as a 4unit student, and will occur in full force around exams. Get used to them...it helps you perform better under stress in the end, when you do the real thing.

spice girl

magic mirror
the point of exercise questions is to put you in "trouble" before the exam period.

so, as a matter of innovation, i suggest that you time yourself when you do each problem, and write down the time you took to do the question, right after the answer (in brackets or something). So, as you progress thru the year, you can see whether you've improved by looking at whether you've taken less time.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
there will always be problems you cant do especially in ext2 unless your going to top or near top the state ... so just make sure you get enough exposure to the kinds of questions they might ask ... do past hsc for hsc ... and look for trends in the papers set by your school ... and be careful as always ...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)