Conics Chord of Contact (1 Viewer)

Ambility

HSC
Can someone show how you would set out working for this question?

Ambility

HSC
In a test, would we be allowed to assume the identity for chords of contact, or would we have to prove this? If a proof is required, how would we prove it?

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
In a test, would we be allowed to assume the identity for chords of contact, or would we have to prove this? If a proof is required, how would we prove it?
I think it needs to be proved. Check your HSC 4U textbook for the proof (it should be in both the Patel and Arnold & Arnold books). Alternatively, you can check it here from this old thread, which does it for the ellipse:

I just uploaded it

The proof for the hyperbola is basically identical, just replace b^2 with –b^2 everywhere. (This proof assumes the result for the equation of a tangent at a given point on the conic; this result can be proved using calculus and point-gradient form of a line.)

Ambility

HSC
I think it needs to be proved. Check your HSC 4U textbook for the proof (it should be in both the Patel and Arnold & Arnold books). Alternatively, you can check it here from this old thread, which does it for the ellipse:

The proof for the hyperbola is basically identical, just replace b^2 with –b^2 everywhere. (This proof assumes the result for the equation of a tangent at a given point on the conic; this result can be proved using calculus and point-gradient form of a line.)
Cheers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)